1901 Spur motor from Victor M

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: 1901 Spur motor from Victor M

Post by Phono-Phan »

What is the serial number of your early M?

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

The fiber gear I obtained is 1/32" or so thicker than the original which was held in with 3-48 X ¼" slotted flat head screws. The thicker gear was just enough that they would not "catch" into the threaded holes in the bottom plate of the gear assembly. I was able to find some 3-48 X 5/16" flat head machine screws but they were Philips (and I had to buy 100). They were also about 1/32" too long and just long enough to rub on the ribs of the base plate so I had to grind them down.

Here is photo of the original fiber gear after I removed the screws and separated the plates. I think I'm going to try shimming the yoke that holds the beveled gear to see if some additional space will make it run quieter.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knows what size the ball bearing should be that the spindle rides on. I'm pretty sure there was one as otherwise the spindle was riding too low. I installed one but the smallest I could source locally was 5/32" and I'm thinking it's a little too large. I as wondering what size was used in some of the later Victor motors for comparison.

Thanks,
Randy
Attachments
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3457.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 558 times

randymullx
Victor O

Post by randymullx »

The serial number of mine is 588.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

WOW! That is a very early serial number. Maybe the governor weights are correct?