Most Expensive versus Favorite

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Most Expensive versus Favorite

Post by larryh »

I somehow just caught the point about the amount of money not determining how we felt about a machine.. now that I consider it, the C 19 set me back 25.00 at an auction, the console william and mary I traded for a 75.00 machine , neither cost much, my favorite portable which is the telefunken was around 40.00 at a local shop.. Over the years I had many very inexpensive machines I was able to fix and truly enjoyed. I don't think I ever really paid much for most of the machines I once owned even though many are not extremely expensive when seen today. Its always been about the sound and ability to return a machine to as close to its original splendor as possible, that is the real value to me.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

My most expensive once I get it completed is my XVI ($240). Since the other motor never
worked right I have yet to truly experience it. I have to say that it is my overall favorite due to the cabinet style in general, and unless I find a XVII or XVIII, etc. I am not planning on parting with it. My VV-100 is a close second place and it only cost $75.

As far as my portables, of the 3 I decided to sell 2 and the one I chose to
keep is the German Odeon I got for $10. It has the best sound, its lightweight
and compact.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

My favorite acoustic model is my mint XVII, and my favorite Ortho is a tie between my Granada, and the VE 8-35X.
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

Boyle6
Victor O
Personal Text: VV-XIV (2), VE-111, VV-IX, Columbia 50, VV-IV

Post by Boyle6 »

My favorite machine is my 1915 Victor XIV. It is in beautiful condition, and after a motor service and reproducer rebuild, the sound is fantastic. I also really love the case carving on it, it is the Victor XIV model with the most elaborate decoration. I realize it is not my most expensive machine - in fact it is my least valuable - but somehow it just works for me. It is my go to machine when I want to show people just what an acoustic phonograph can sound like. I guess it is what some of the other posters have seem to be saying, it is not the cost that is important, it is how it makes you feel :-)