Phonographs in the time of plague

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Nat
Victor III

Phonographs in the time of plague

Post by Nat »

Well, I'm self-isolated for the foreseeable future, and I'm counting the way of staying sane. Book, TV, solo walks - but also time to re-organize my record shelving and do some cabinet work. I just ordered a Sawsafe jobsite saw and some tools, and once they get here I need some basic lumber, but it's a great time to catch up on all the long-put-off projects! (And it's almost garden season!)

Interested in other ideas for keeping busy and enjoying our hobby!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Phonographs in the time of plague

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Yeah, organizing records is great, but we have an unparalleled chance now for old-school 78 jam sessions.

Now we can finally sit down with those boxed sets of classical records & hear them end to end, in order.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I have been quarantined before. The first time was in an Army hospital in late 1972. That was not fun. We were extremely sick with some dying, so I hope that that doesn't repeat. Back then we had no internet, lousy television and I only had two cassette tapes with me, (Emerson Lake and Palmer's Trilogy album and The James Gang's Passin Thru). In May of 2008 I had a motorcycle accident that resulted in hospitalization, many surgeries and rehab. The concussion, pain and drugs prevented me from reading much and the injuries kept me in bed and later a wheelchair, (I am no longer in a wheelchair and grateful). Needless to say, I will consider myself very fortunate if the worst thing that I face is a bit of cabin fever. I hope that everyone comes through this, but realistically, that is wishful thinking. Make the best of the situation that you have, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Please don't take any foolish chances with your health.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I'd suggest writing up an inventory/description of items in your collection, as outlined in an article in the March 2020 issue of The Antique Phonograph. It's fun, and you may have a new appreciation for what's in your collection!

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I have finally started on this project myself! Long overdue. It is a long process but well worth the effort. I plan to do thorough descriptions with all significant details for a dozen machines a day so as to not get overwhelmed. So far I have described and appraised all of my tinfoil phonographs, originals and replicas. I'll start on Graphophones tomorrow.

I added one additional line to my format: Location. In order to facilitate my wife or daughter determining which is which, I am writing down exactly which shelf or table in my office, living room, or dining room a particular machine is situated.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

You may also want to check this thread out in our "parlor" section... ;).
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44380

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I had to have a leg amputated due to long-term sports abuse (so I had fun getting that way!) and spent five or so months in a wheelchair - so I have an idea what that's like, and how long it takes to get strength back! Unfortunately I couldn't wind any of my machines, much less reach down albums, so this stretch of isolation will at least be easier in that regard.

Gosh, you'be been through the ringer. Hats off and best wishes!

CylinderFan
Victor Jr

Post by CylinderFan »

phonogfp wrote:I'd suggest writing up an inventory/description of items in your collection, as outlined in an article in the March 2020 issue of The Antique Phonograph. It's fun, and you may have a new appreciation for what's in your collection!

George P.
George, is it possible to get a copy of just this article if you are not a member of the Antique Phonograph Society?
~ Vicki M. - A Cylinder Phonograph Fan

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I began a word document with all the records I own back when I started collection. I tried to update the list every time I got records (but it’s hard when you have a haul of 500 2 sided records :shock: ) my list is like 26 pages and I have a lot to go. Maybe this is a good time! Or maybe I should finish my projects :roll:

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

My record listings are done using Excel rather than Word. Excel allows me to easily sort the data in different ways, for example: label/number, title/artist and artist/title. I also have similar data bases for cylinders, 45s and machines. I maintain the master files on my desktop computer and when the masters are changed, copies are moved to my tablet, replacing the earlier files. I really like having the tablet in recent years because pre-tablet I had to carry a notebook containing printouts of everything. Those would quickly get out of date and I would need to print addenda to go in the book, then periodically reprint everything when the addenda ran to so many pages that it became too difficult to use.

Jim