Just For Chuckles!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Just For Chuckles!

Post by startgroove »

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Just For Chuckles!

Post by drh »

:lol: Just for fun, when I was a smart-aleck young adult (as opposed to a smart-aleck old geezer :oops: ), I used to enjoy going into pretentious high-end audio shops and watching the clerks' faces when I asked for steel needles for my Victrola.

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Tr y asking for cactus needles!

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Back in the 1970s, a shop called my bluff. I did in fact go to a "Hi-Fi" store and I asked for Victrola needles. The clerk looked confused and asked a co-worker, who thought a bit and said, "Oh yeah, they're here" and produced a box of steel Pfanstiehl needles in little blue envelopes. I paid up and left quietly. Still have some of those, I think.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Oh yeah, they're here" and produced a box of steel Pfanstiehl needles in little blue envelopes.

I had a similar experience 5 or 10 years ago in a small town in North Carolina. The store dealt with an odd assortment of things from musical stuff, clocks, hi-fi, jewelry, etc. So, I asked if they had any steel phonograph needles and he pulled out a carton of Pfanstiehl needles in paper envelopes... I think it was most of an original case of them, so I bought them all... You never know what you might find, unless you ask...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife