12” records on portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
anchorman
Victor II

12” records on portable

Post by anchorman »

Hi all,

I’m looking for a portable model that can play 12” records. Is there such a thing? I’d like to buy a Columbia viva-tonal model, but can’t find any specifics on record size for these. I got a newish model on eBay a little while back that sadly got damaged in shipping, so have yet another project on the shelf for a rainy day. Can someone give me some tips on what I should even be looking for regarding model numbers, if any will play 12” records?

I can play them fine on my home machines, but I have this dream that when the virus pandemic is over, I will bring a portable player with me to NYC and sit in the park with my friend and listen to Beethoven’s 3rd in memory of his late father who used to love that symphony, and once upon a time in the 40’s or 50’s used to sit outside with his wind up record player and listen to it.

If there are no portables for 12” records, I’ll have to start looking for random orphan parts and build my own. Hopefully there is something already existing that can spare me that trouble!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: 12” records on portable

Post by drh »

One possible approach: get a nondescript, low-value portable with one of the ubiquitous Thorens post-and-plate single-spring motors and then replace it with a comparable two-spring model. I did that with a "Swissie" open horn machine; took a while, but eventually I found a motor with winding shaft that matched up with the existing crank hole. With the single-spring motor, it would not play a 12" record; with the two-spring, it will handle about a 12" and a half on a winding, and suddenly the thing became a practical phonograph. And, yes, I retained the original single-spring motor in case anyone ever wants to put it back to "original" form.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Any quality portable phonograph-- Victor, HMV, Columbia, etc. -- can accommodate 12" records, in spite of the fact that they're fitted with 10" turntables.

I've played 12" records on a VV-2-55, a Columbia Viva-tonal (large 113a style), a Decca 50 portable, a circa late 1930s Birch portable....

For a single spring phonograph, it takes near to a full winding per 12" record--for each side of the record--and of course the motor should be in overhauled condition, as should the soundbox (reproducer).

OrthoFan

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye out then. Hopefully something good turns up at a price I can afford!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you can find one, a Decca 50"DS" (Double Spring) with it's Meltrope III design soundbox should cope with 12 inch records and cost less than a Columbia or an HMV.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Victor used to say that their entire range could play 12" records, regardless of turntable size

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

A VV-50 should play a 12 inch record. A VV-IV will play one and the 50 uses the same motor but with with 2 more feet of mainspring, so I have to assume it would play a 12 inch record as well or better. I just bought an early model VV-50, but unfortunately the spring is broken and I can't check it out for you.
BTW: which version of Beethoven's 3rd do you have? That symphony is one of my top favorite classical compositions. I have had the Koussevitsky/Boston Symphony version on Victor for over 60 years and it is still my favorite performance of the piece.

Jim

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

anchorman wrote:...I will bring a portable player with me to NYC and sit in the park with my friend and listen to Beethoven’s 3rd in memory of his late father who used to love that symphony, and once upon a time in the 40’s or 50’s used to sit outside with his wind up record player and listen to it...

If you plan to listen to electrically recorded symphony records, probably a VV-2-55, or an HMV 102, or one of the Columbia Viva-Tonal models would be your best best. These do a fantastic job on electrical recordings, and will bring out more of the sound quality than a pre-1925 portable.

A VV-50, as Phonojim noted, will handle 12 inch records, and will play later electrically records okay if you can find a good condition Victor #4 soundbox (or similar) to swap in place for the original #2 soundbox. You won't get the fidelity of a VV-2-55, etc., though.

OrthoFan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I have said it before & will say it again--I absolutely enjoy my Grafonola portable. It is a 202, so it's fairly small but carries a powerful motor (and no crank to lose--the handle unfolds from the front of the machine and folds back up when you're done using it.) The whole thing is almost custom-made to enjoy classical music--in the right room it sounds like a big machine. It was not quite like a Brunswick Cortez but I played it for David (dzavracky) and he liked it. (He also played me his Cortez, and I liked that even better but it's much too big to carry round.)

Another good portable phonograph is a Brunswick portable Panatrope. I used to have one (a P-109) and they're very loud and have a smooth, mellow sound with just the right amount of brightness on top of bass worthy of a mighty floor-model machine. However, the reproducers are often found damaged, but if you can get one in great shape they have amazing motors in them and a great horn & reproducer. I paid $5 for mine and had to patch it up but it was a good machine.

You can find a nice portable! Don't get a sub-portable, get a 1925 or later machine of a reputable brand and enjoy some serious fidelity and convenience. (or, actually, buy whatever you like and have fun. Sub-portables aren't great for Beethoven in the park, but for other occasions they'd probably be amazing.)