KCW
Victor II

Is this really a spring motor?

Post by KCW »

Wasn’t sure is this post was accurate:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDISON-SPRING- ... SwWkFed3vD

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Is this really a spring motor?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

To me it looks like an Edison Spring Motor wearing a 2/4 min. conversion kit, which is pretty awesome! I've never heard of someone converting such an early machine to 4m. operation.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, if the serial number is 26,5--, that's an early 1899 Edison Spring Motor. It was of course converted to 2 & 4-minute sometime after 1908.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, it's an Edison Spring Motor phonograph. It must be a later one. The early ones had a swoop to the casing on the left side of the top works like a Class M. I think most collectors would prefer their Spring Motor machines to be equipped the way they left the factory. The one in the auction was converted to play four minute cylinders as well a two minute ones. The conversion to make a two minute Spring Motor, Triumph, and Home require the replacement of the mandrel and other more minor parts. Most of us want those really early machines to be factory equipped. I'd appreciate other opinions on the conversion.

Thanks, Jerry B.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

That wonderful Spring Motor carriage was replaced as well, probably when it was converted to two and four minute. Jerry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:Most of us want those really early machines to be factory equipped. I'd appreciate other opinions on the conversion.
Although the conversion to this Spring Motor is perfectly legitimate, and allowed the original owner to possess a "modern" phonograph capable of playing 4-minute records, modernity isn't usually what we collectors admire. I'd far rather have a Triumph D2 with a Cygnet than a Spring Motor equipped the same way, regardless of its legitimacy. If early Spring Motors were growing on trees, it might be different.

In 1991 I bought an 1897 Spring Motor with a U.S. Phonograph Co. motor and Class M top casting. It had been converted to 2 & 4-minute, and was equipped with a Diamond B Reproducer. It took over 20 years and around $1500 for me to acquire the carriage, brass mandrel/mainshaft, large upper pulley, and Automatic Reproducer to bring it back to its original obsolescence. :)

George P.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

It looks really nice: price seems reasonable as well. I’d be a player if I wasn’t out of room. Also bought that junker square case with an early serial number and doing full restoration on that. I literally don’t have the room and I think my wife would kill me if I bought it.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

We should be grateful to the owner who modified the machine all those years ago. By extending it's useful life he probably saved it from being thrown away.
I doubt that my mid 1901 Triumph, Serial Number 30360, would have survived if it had not also been modified in this way.