Fireside model A restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Fireside model A restoration

Post by Mormon S »

I picked up this fireside model A about 2 months ago. Fron the pictures that were posted, I that perhaps it was extremely dirty but could look good with a deep clean. When I got there and saw the machine, I realize that somebody had slathered the case in a tarish-green "finish" and added a decal.

The finish was extremely hard to remove, I covered it countless times with a strong paint remover, and it still required a lot of mechanical force. This time I decided to try and use grain filler. I used a water based wood filler diluted with more water until I could somewhat easily pour and, then I scraped it around the cabinet, let it dry, then sand. I used the van dyke brown stain, and finished it with shellac.

I added a gregg cline decal to the cabinet and used painters tape to help align it better. After building up enough shellac, I dry sanded it smooth, then "polished" by oil sanding up to 1500 grit. Then I used McGuires scratch x2 autobody polish, and finally used Howard's feed-n-wax.

Here are some pictures of before and after. It's not over yet though, I still need to repaint the bedplate

Martin
Attachments
received_232313904467110.jpeg
received_271770660471860.jpeg
received_596119024327970.jpeg
Screenshot_20200301-182027_Apex Launcher.jpg
Screenshot_20200301-194159_Gallery.jpg
received_2713195668908035.jpeg
received_555742161724060.jpeg
received_749374228801996.jpeg
received_531810687755969.jpeg
received_2601906233465284.jpeg
received_244194299962552.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Fireside model A restoration

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks really nice. You get a blue ribbon!

Jerry B.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Nice work! Sometimes it is very hard to even out the staining on Oak. Looks like you nailed it. Cheers, Russie

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

looks great Martin!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This one came out smooth--thanks for the detailed how-to description as well as the nice restoration. Is this one going to be for that rusty old cygnet horn you were fixing to restore? If that horn turns out as nice as this one you will have another real showpiece for the collection.

Firesides are cute. I like them. One day I am going to try to get an Edison Home but in the meantime I am content with keeping it small.

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:This one came out smooth--thanks for the detailed how-to description as well as the nice restoration. Is this one going to be for that rusty old cygnet horn you were fixing to restore? If that horn turns out as nice as this one you will have another real showpiece for the collection.

Firesides are cute. I like them. One day I am going to try to get an Edison Home but in the meantime I am content with keeping it small.
Thank you! Yes, this will go with that rusty cygnet horn that I got a while back. I'm waiting to get the materials I need to wood grain it, but the base coat is already on. Of course I will update on the rest un the future.

Another change I'm thinking of doing is possibly trading model K for a diamond C reproducer, as well as the carriage. My cylinder collection mostly consists of blue amberols, and I would really appreciate the upgrade in fidelity.

Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Mormon S wrote: Another change I'm thinking of doing is possibly trading model K for a diamond C reproducer, as well as the carriage. My cylinder collection mostly consists of blue amberols, and I would really appreciate the upgrade in fidelity.

Martin
If it were a late Fireside you would have it on 4m mode only. You don't want a Diamond C reproducer; you want the Diamond B, because that one empties the sound out through the top and not through the back.

If I could fix my K reproducer I would. I just get cold feet about mailing stuff off for whatever reason, and that holds me up on everything from important paperwork to phono parts to ordering supplies. But for 4m records I am having good results still using an Amberola 30. I had one of Larry H's Truetones in it but now I have one of Herman's Wondertones. If I had another large-diaphragm machine I'd drop in the Truetone to have one of each.

Could you put on a horizontal large carriage and use one of the O Reproducers or whatever model the big turnover ones are?

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Mormon S wrote: Another change I'm thinking of doing is possibly trading model K for a diamond C reproducer, as well as the carriage. My cylinder collection mostly consists of blue amberols, and I would really appreciate the upgrade in fidelity.

Martin
If it were a late Fireside you would have it on 4m mode only. You don't want a Diamond C reproducer; you want the Diamond B, because that one empties the sound out through the top and not through the back.

If I could fix my K reproducer I would. I just get cold feet about mailing stuff off for whatever reason, and that holds me up on everything from important paperwork to phono parts to ordering supplies. But for 4m records I am having good results still using an Amberola 30. I had one of Larry H's Truetones in it but now I have one of Herman's Wondertones. If I had another large-diaphragm machine I'd drop in the Truetone to have one of each.

Could you put on a horizontal large carriage and use one of the O Reproducers or whatever model the big turnover ones are?
Sorry, meant the model B :monkey:

A model O would be ideal, but it's definitely cost prohibitive and I would rather have one on a nicer machine, like a late home or a triumph. For this machine I would probably do fine with the diamond B, and if I want to take advantage of the 2 minute setting I could use a model C reproducer and a reducing ring adaptor.

Martin

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I'm not a fan of restored machines, but this is really, really nice. I like it! :D I'm not in the market for a Fireside, but if I were...

Garret

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

That is extremely nice! Must be how it looked the day it was made. Excellent job!