columbia nonpareil

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: columbia nonpareil

Post by drh »

dzavracky wrote:This is on the bottom of the cabinet. Not sure if this helps at all
It does help some--it carries a January 1912 patent date. According to the Baumbach book, the Nonpareil models, both early and late, were introduced in 1911. That seems a bit odd to me; I'd have expected at least a year or two between one and the other; regardless, the label on yours establishes that it is not an "early production" early model but rather came at least a little later than the 1911 inaugural year. (Bear in mind that patent dates do not establish production dates, only the point before which production could not have happened.)

[Edit] Incidentally, for what it's worth, Baumbach indicates the early Nonpareils had "crimson silk velvet on the turntable."

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The governor weights are not painted white. The white is lead oxide that has formed on the lead weights. You can lightly brush it off if it's highly built up & flaky, but I would avoid breathing the dust. Nothing to run & hide from, just don't breath it. Or, you could leave them as-is, no harm.

I could be wrong, but I believe the purple felt is really purple velvet. Can anyone confirm that?

A skilled wood worker could splice in new wood where it's broken out of the louvers. Do you have the broken out pieces by chance?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The speaker slats can be repaired by piecing in pieces of mahogany from a period donor cabinet, if you don't have the missing pieces...

Here is a video that gives good, basic ideas about how to piece in wood repairs. This is not exactly what you are doing, but it gives ideas about how to clean out a broken area and make a piece to fit back in. You don't need to use a router, you can use wood chisels to cut out the repair area and then make a replacement piece to fill the missing area. Hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUUuMzxJ9h8
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

I do have some of the pieces.. not sure if i have all the ones i need. It looks like someone tried (and failed) to glue the pieces back together in the past.

I cannot even imagine how you break them like that. Someone must have yanked them right off the mechansim :shock:

any ideas for the cabinet? its kind of funny looking with a very glossy lid and an aligatored cabinet

The record holders smell awful. how can I get the smell off?

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

drh wrote:
dzavracky wrote:This is on the bottom of the cabinet. Not sure if this helps at all

[Edit] Incidentally, for what it's worth, Baumbach indicates the early Nonpareils had "crimson silk velvet on the turntable."
So it wouldn't be "incorrect" to replace the green felt with Crimson silk velvet?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

dzavracky wrote:
drh wrote:

So it wouldn't be "incorrect" to replace the green felt with Crimson silk velvet?
I'd say not, unless you have good reason to think the green felt is original to the machine. If it is, and if it's in decent shape, leave it be; if not, you have at least some authority to back changing it to crimson silk velvet.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Awesome. Ill post updates when I have some time to work on the machine!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Use Febrese Heavy Duty spray... it works great to get out any odors.
Attachments
Febrese.jpg
Febrese.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 783 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Update on the machine:

I straight out the lid support rod and metal piece and reattached the lid. I cleaned the cabinet thoroughly and waxed it. It certainly looks a lot better than I had thought it would. The lid seems to have broken at some point in the past and was very poorly repaired and refinished.

I’ll be cleaning the motor tomorrow and Friday.

Here’s some pics :D
Attachments
F47A28C1-9C39-405A-8AD0-A6C5307405EF.jpeg
Reattached lid before cleaning
Reattached lid before cleaning

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Looking better and better!

I hope you get it looking, playing, (and smelling) good enough to go in the music room soon.