Old newspaper articles about collectors & other phono topics

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Old newspaper articles about collectors & other phono to

Post by phonogfp »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Any of the members here own one of these BA records for the machine, or did they play at a different speed than normal BAs?
The Kinetophone cylinders are significantly larger (4 ⅜" diameter x 7 ⅜" long) than conventional Blue Amberols: (Click the image twice to enlarge and sharpen.)
From "Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Antique Phonograph Accessories & Contraptions" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.
AmberolaAndy wrote:Unrelated to this discussion: Zon-o-phone discs used rubber in 1900? I thought that was the thing early 5 inch berliners had?
Rubber or celluloid (I can't tell the difference by feel) was used in a very limited way in later Berliner 7" discs, Zonophone 9" discs, and even a few International Record Company (Auburn) 10" pressings.

However, and more to the point, this isn't a "company" advertisement. Foster Brothers wrote up the copy and may well have used language they thought their clientele would better understand. Note too that the illustration is of a Berliner "Improved Gramophone," so the Zonophone nomenclature may have been borrowed from Frank Seaman's brief use of it to promote the Berliner product. Zonophone machines didn't appear until April 1900, and Zonophone records didn't appear until after that, so if this ad is dated prior to April 1900, it was definitely hawking the Berliner products.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
Any of the members here own one of these BA records for the machine, or did they play at a different speed than normal BAs?
The Kinetophone cylinders are significantly larger (4 ⅜" diameter x 7 ⅜" long) than conventional Blue Amberols: (Click the image twice to enlarge and sharpen.)
The attachment kinetophone002.jpg is no longer available
AmberolaAndy wrote:Unrelated to this discussion: Zon-o-phone discs used rubber in 1900? I thought that was the thing early 5 inch berliners had?
Rubber or celluloid (I can't tell the difference by feel) was used in a very limited way in later Berliner 7" discs, Zonophone 9" discs, and even a few International Record Company (Auburn) 10" pressings.

However, and more to the point, this isn't a "company" advertisement. Foster Brothers wrote up the copy and may well have used language they thought their clientele would better understand. Note too that the illustration is of a Berliner "Improved Gramophone," so the Zonophone nomenclature may have been borrowed from Frank Seaman's brief use of it to promote the Berliner product. Zonophone machines didn't appear until April 1900, and Zonophone records didn't appear until after that, so if this ad is dated prior to April 1900, it was definitely hawking the Berliner products.

George P.
So this is a case of someone hyping things up to get customers excited and come to their store? The ad is dated September 21, 1900.

Newport VT library starts fund to purchase phonograph collection: October 19, 1970
Attachments
83724450-B53F-49C8-B26D-D50259A00711.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Article about phonographs in an Indiana Musuem.

May 18, 1981
Attachments
8B7A191F-05E6-4F4D-9246-F295EA7AB316.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

November 9, 1967 article about a place called The Gay 90s Melody Museum in St. Louis MO.

Has anyone been to this museum and did they have any antique phonos there? And what became of the items there after they shut down?

I have an LP called “River Bank Razzmatazz” that has audio of some of the machines from there.
Attachments
5034A83A-A192-4C7B-9669-9A3151C861D0.jpeg
5D23F200-1F99-4BAB-896B-5D18F5371C9D.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I think some people here know who the guy in the article is about? Is he the auction guy?

February 17, 1965
Attachments
6C0FD3EF-BE48-4644-888B-B656B72748DB.jpeg
7C0BBDC8-7D0D-477E-9A5A-C2F807046360.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

--"Uncle Josh, whose given name was Cal Stewart, was an alleged comedian with the sense of humor of a live hand grenade..."

"--the 'music' still comes out something akin to a pail of railroad spikes being slithered slowly across a aluminum roof,"

"completely restored in two hours." Hm, maybe that has something to do with the complaints about the sound-quality!

My goodness, Andy, I don't know where you dig this stuff up but these evaluations of the hobby are pretty crazy--

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:--"Uncle Josh, whose given name was Cal Stewart, was an alleged comedian with the sense of humor of a live hand grenade..."

"--the 'music' still comes out something akin to a pail of railroad spikes being slithered slowly across a aluminum roof,"

"completely restored in two hours." Hm, maybe that has something to do with the complaints about the sound-quality!

My goodness, Andy, I don't know where you dig this stuff up but these evaluations of the hobby are pretty crazy--
I find them on newspapers.com! It can be sort of a pain because you get a lot of old auction and classified ads to sift through to find the articles!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:--"Uncle Josh, whose given name was Cal Stewart, was an alleged comedian with the sense of humor of a live hand grenade..."

I find them on newspapers.com! It can be sort of a pain because you get a lot of old auction and classified ads to sift through to find the articles!
Hmmm. Can't argue with that... :P
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophone-georg wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:

Hmmm. Can't argue with that... :P
And I mean ads for classifieds and auctions post 1945. I have to filter out certain key words like -glasswares or -silverware to filter out most of those.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Another article about another mechanical music museum! Antique phonos along with disc music boxes were featured at this one.

April 29, 2001
Attachments
6E177F59-E778-4226-A349-06584DBE51DC.jpeg
800F2367-4D04-4E11-B390-19F2A9869EFE.jpeg