Machine ID help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mike-R
Victor Jr

Machine ID help

Post by Mike-R »

The title says it all. I have had this kicking around for decades, after pulling it out the trash as a kid. From what searching I've done, it appears to be a Columbia 'AJ' model, circa 1901, but that's a guess.

There are no markings, numbers or decals anywhere on the case. It is the vertical crank style.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
1901_AJ_Phono_1.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Machine ID help

Post by Phono-Phan »

Can you post more pictures? The motor?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What marvels do you find in the trash... You just could call me next time you're going out hunting! :D
Inigo

Mike-R
Victor Jr

Post by Mike-R »

Here are some additional photos, thanks. What's interesting, the hole on the side which appears to be for a crank. Perhaps this case was switched at some point.
1901_AJ_Phono_5.JPG
1901_AJ_Phono_4.JPG
1901_AJ_Phono_3.JPG
1901_AJ_Phono_2.JPG

Mike-R
Victor Jr

Post by Mike-R »

Inigo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:49 pm What marvels do you find in the trash... You just could call me next time you're going out hunting! :D
:lol:

You're not kidding! I've "rescued" some very interesting items over the years, including several upright Victor model phonographs, Lionel trains, and a Singer sewing machine treadle base which I made into a nice table, and still have.

One man's junk, as the saying goes. :D

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Very interesting... And examining the motor, can't you determine where it must be cranked? That will be a clue for where the crank how should be, and if it matches with the case holes...
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Wow... Several Victor upright models, several... from the trash bins? I want to live there... :)
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Inigo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:39 pm can't you determine where it must be cranked?
The crank goes through a hole in the turntable and connects to what looks like a dimple with the dot in the middle, north east of the spindle, in line with the speed control knob, in the downward view of the motor plate.
I think Mike was actually questioning why there is a redundant crank hole in the side of the wooden case, and whether The case may have been a replacement?
At least that's my take on it :?

I'm wondering if it is a crank hole, or if it's where a bracket for the travelling arm was attached?

Mike-R
Victor Jr

Post by Mike-R »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:02 pm
Inigo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:39 pm can't you determine where it must be cranked?
The crank goes through a hole in the turntable and connects to what looks like a dimple with the dot in the middle, north east of the spindle, in line with the speed control knob, in the downward view of the motor plate.
I think Mike was actually questioning why there is a redundant crank hole in the side of the wooden case, and whether The case may have been a replacement?
At least that's my take on it :?

I'm wondering if it is a crank hole, or if it's where a bracket for the travelling arm was attached?

Yes, you are correct sir. The crank is on the top side.

I have noticed those equipped with a functioning side crank, the hole is much larger in diameter, although the one on this case is roughly the same diameter as the top crank. Very curious.

Inigo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:41 pm Wow... Several Victor upright models, several... from the trash bins? I want to live there... :)

Interesting backstory on how I acquired this item. My mother and aunt were both in the antiques business, and we went over to a house where an older woman had passed away, and her family had listed phonographs for sale, along with other household contents. On the third floor, there were three upright models in a room, a beautiful Victor upright model, another Victor upright which had been chewed on by squirrels and was missing a front leg, and an Edison upright 'Hepplewhite' model, which was missing the front grille, Diamond Disc reproducer, and also had slight squirrel damage to one of the front legs.

We wound up purchasing the latter two for I think $50, and on the way out, I spotted the Columbia machine sitting in a trash pile on the curb, so you could say it was a productive trip. :D

Many years later, I still have the Edison model.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mike-R wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:41 am

I have noticed those equipped with a functioning side crank, the hole is much larger in diameter, although the one on this case is roughly the same diameter as the top crank. Very curious.

Maybe the hole in the cabinet is a place to store the crank when not in use?

Even if this cabinet was from some other phonograph, the location of what might be a crank hole, would be way too high up on the case. The crank would be located almost directly beneath the top plate of the motor, allowing little to no room for any kind of winding gears or ratchets.