Edison Model E Triumph value

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Edison Model E Triumph value

Post by mjbarnes »

A machine came up earlier in the week in Washington state. It had a wooden music master horn in what looked like very good condition. Machine itself — case and bedplate — just looked okay to me. O reproducer. Buy now price of $3900. Machine sold same day.

Victor VI

Re: Edison Model E Triumph value

Post by 52089 »

I'm quite surprised. If I were going to spend $3900 on a machine, I could do a lot better than a Triumph with a wooden horn, even in perfect condition. Shoot, I could buy Marc's beautiful Amberola 1A for $2700, have it professionally sent across the country, and still have money left.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

$3900? Yikes! :? :shock: And I thought the $1200-$1600 they want for Triumphs on eBay were outrageous! :shock: (And is the reason I still don’t have a Triumph yet.) :( Is this a case of people getting stars in their eyes like the occasional $1200 VV-XI that shows up on Craigslist? What’s the normal price for a Triumph? I understand the earlier Spring Motor model being $1200-$1600. But I would think a Triumph would go for $800-$1000.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I would think a Triumph would go for $800-$1000.
Sorry, but that Music Master horn alone is worth quite a bit. Yes, $3900 seems high. I wonder if it really sold for that amount. I sold an oak Opera for substantially less recently. I'm skeptical.

Jerry B.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think the combination of a music master horn, a model O reproducer, and being a fairly scarce Model E would easily make this a $3000 machine, even in reasonably good condition, and there's probably far fewer of these around than Operas.
It also has an advantage over the Opera because it plays both 2 and 4 minute cylinders.
I guess if the machine was in extremely good original condition, the price wouldn't be too far fetched?

Then again, what would an Idealia with the same horn and reproducer in similar condition be worth?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophoneshane wrote:I think the combination of a music master horn, a model O reproducer, and being a fairly scares Model E would easily make this a $3000 machine, even I reasonable condition, and there's probably far fewer of these around than Operas.
It also has an advantage over the Opera because it plays both 2 and 4 minute cylinders.
I guess if the machine was in extremely good original condition, the price wouldn't be too far fetched?

Then again, what would an Idealia with the same horn and reproducer in similar condition be worth?

Is the Opera worth the hype? Compared to a Triumph with the same horn? Is it because the Opera has a fancier look? I currently got the money for one but I would get my head bit off for “wasting my money on a record player.” :roll:

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Is an Opera worth the hype?

I would have to say yes, and no.

You won't find a cylinder machine that has better sound quality, and there's no denying that they're the most beautiful open horned machine produced by Edison in stock standard form. They'll always be Edison's deluxe model from the end of open horn phonograph production, and a very desirable machine to collector's.
For playing blue Amberola, there's none better.

The Opera was my dream machine for close to 40 years....until I got my Amberola A1.
I'm lucky to have both a Diamond C and Model M reproducer for my A1, so I can play any standard size celluloid or wax cylinder ever made with Opera sound quality. And it has cylinder storage to boot.

I suspect the Opera would sound a little better due to its slightly larger horn, but what little I lose in sound quality I'm willing to sacrifice for the ability to play wax records, and at a cheaper price.

I get more enjoyment from my A1 than I would from an Opera.
That's not to say that if an Opera came along and I had the money, I wouldn't buy an Opera. I definitely would because it would be great having both machines, but if I had to pick just one, it would be the A1 every time.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you are only going to have one cylinder machine to do everything, a Triumph makes a lot of sense.
With the appropriate attachments it can play 2 and 4 minute cylinders, wax and celluloid, and even record with it's big powerful steady running motor.
If you only collect 4 minute celluloid cylinders and can afford an Opera, that would be my first choice. No troublesome drive belts and clumsy cranes.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

epigramophone wrote:If you are only going to have one cylinder machine to do everything, a Triumph makes a lot of sense.
With the appropriate attachments it can play 2 and 4 minute cylinders, wax and celluloid, and even record with it's big powerful steady running motor.
If you only collect 4 minute celluloid cylinders and can afford an Opera, that would be my first choice. No troublesome drive belts and clumsy cranes.
I’m probably close to affording an Opera but I like to collect all cylinders so a Triumph would more likely be for me. (An Amberola 1A sounds really nice too.)

hbick2
Victor O

Post by hbick2 »

I have or have had most of the Edison models, including a 1A. If I had to make a choice, I would keep my Opera and one lesser machine for the 2 minute records, say a Home or a Fireside.

There is a level of convenience associated with the Opera that I don't find with any of the other Edisons. I just walk up to it, stick on a cylinder, crank it and start playing. I love the Edisons with Cygnet and Music Master horns, but I don't care for the interface between the horn and the reproduce as much. The internal horn machines are also convenient, but they don't have quite the elegance of an Opera. To most people, they look like just another Victrola. An Opera looks like nothing else. There is something magical about looking into that beautiful horn and listening to the music that comes out of it.

I did recently acquire an Amberola V and am quite impressed with both the mechanism and the sound. Just so I don't have to lug it around much, or take it to play on my boat (if I had one) like in the Edison advertisements.