Need measurements for H&S under glass cabinet cutout

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
martinola
Victor III

Re: Need measurements for H&S under glass cabinet cutout

Post by martinola »

I have a related question for those that know (I sure don't): Were different sized H&S cabinets made specifically for Triumph, Home and Standard machines? Which brings up the question, could this cabinet have been made for a Standard and whoever replaced the top wanted to put in a Home instead?

In any case Martin, a very worthy project! I'll be interested in seeing the results.

Best Wishes,

(the other) Martin

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

martinola wrote:I have a related question for those that know (I sure don't): Were different sized H&S cabinets made specifically for Triumph, Home and Standard machines? Which brings up the question, could this cabinet have been made for a Standard and whoever replaced the top wanted to put in a Home instead?

In any case Martin, a very worthy project! I'll be interested in seeing the results.

Best Wishes,

(the other) Martin
The different size of the H&S cabinets were not directly correlated to the machine that was held inside. This cabinet sold for $18 (without the machine inside), and could be ordered fit the home, standard, A.T graphophne, triumph, and concert. It costed an extra $2 to order for the triumph or concert because they required an extra tall glass case in order to fit. In order for the crank to line up with all of the models, the crank hole was cut in a different position, and they also had a different sized crank adapter for each model. Brad/Outune (the forum member I got this from) told me that the crank hole lined up with an identical cabinet that housed a home.

H&S made a much larger under glass cabinet called the "Nonpareil" which could also fit a class M. I'm very interested in finding one, although I assume it would be out of my budget.

Martin
Last edited by Mormon S on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Thanks for the insight, Martin. They've been a favorite of mine, but I almost know nothing about them. By the time I'm 100, I might know something...

Martin

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

I am again in need of some help on this project. The measurements for the cutout worked perfectly, and now I need to install glass into the box. What method was originaly used to secure the glass in the frame?

Thanks
Martin

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Mine has wood slats screwed into position all the way around the pane. (Click the photo to enlarge.)
Attachments
IMG-0191.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

TinfoilPhono wrote:Mine has wood slats screwed into position all the way around the pane. (Click the photo to enlarge.)
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.

Martin

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

The project is close. 2 problems have arisen. The lift lever on the carriage must be down in order to close the lid, is this normal or have I done something wrong? the second problem is that the motor can't be lowered enough for the crank to reach. the top is a reproduction, so perhaps it was made too thick, or maybe longer mounting screws were provided? any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Martin

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

Mormon S wrote:
martinola wrote:I have a related question for those that know (I sure don't): Were different sized H&S cabinets made specifically for Triumph, Home and Standard machines? Which brings up the question, could this cabinet have been made for a Standard and whoever replaced the top wanted to put in a Home instead?

Best Wishes,

(the other) Martin
The different size of the H&S cabinets were not directly correlated to the machine that was held inside. This cabinet sold for $18 (without the machine inside), and could be ordered fit the home, standard, A.T graphophne, triumph, and concert. It costed an extra $2 to order for the triumph or concert because they required an extra tall glass case in order to fit. In order for the crank to line up with all of the models, the crank hole was cut in a different position, and they also had a different sized crank adapter for each model. Brad/Outune (the forum member I got this from) told me that the crank hole lined up with an identical cabinet that housed a home.

H&S made a much larger under glass cabinet called the "Nonpareil" which could also fit a class M. I'm very interested in finding one, although I assume it would be out of my budget.

Martin
I believe this the the Nonpareil you are looking for. There are slight variations to this cabinet. For comparison I have also included a Triumph/Concert example.
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
classm6.JPG

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

The top board is ½" thick on the one I showed previously.