Union??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Union??

Post by Marty Bufalini »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know if Union is still a go?

Thanks.

Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Re: Union??

Post by Phonotom »

If you go to there website it looks like it is still a go. They have just posted today the upcoming phonographs to be auctioned in May. www.donleyauctions.com

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I've gone to Union for the past 31 years, but I don't plan to go this year even if it is held. I don't believe that COVID-19 will magically disappear in the next month and a half, despite what the politicians say. Besides, many of the attendees and dealers are in the "high risk" group (geezers like me).

While I love the hobby, it just isn't worth dying for. :o
Best regards ... AZ*

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

AZ* wrote:I've gone to Union for the past 31 years, but I don't plan to go this year even if it is held. I don't believe that COVID-19 will magically disappear in the next month and a half, despite what the politicians say. Besides, many of the attendees and dealers are in the "high risk" group (geezers like me).

While I love the hobby, it just isn't worth dying for. :o
Exactly my thoughts. It would be a real shame since it would be my first (and last) time going to union. While sad, I think it should be cancelled for the safety of everyone.

Martin

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I can only wonder what bubble the Donley’s live in. Don’t they realize that people have to plan their lives ahead of time, make arrangements, etc? Traveling is extremely difficult, if not impossible these days. Most of us are old geezers; it’s hard to spot anybody at the show in past years below the age of 60.

I’m definitely not going, even if I inject myself with a gallon of Lysol and get my UV rays by sitting in a tanning booth for a week. This stuff is going to be a hazard for at least the rest of the year.

Raphael

Bleachbit
Victor Jr

Post by Bleachbit »

As noted before, this forum is not the place for foolish, political commentary!

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

There was no foolishness meant by referring to a bizarre theory about a life-threatening matter. Life and death is serious stuff. Far more important than policing the Forum for possible political intent.

Raphael

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Such a sad end for the most iconic annual get together...

I had hoped the swan song would've been my first, but those hopes were looking slim before they were dashed altogether.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well obviously these problems can be solved through replacement.

We need a replacement for the Union show, somewhere in the central US and preferably taking place mid-year, but that likely can’t happen til next year because of the planning needed and the current unavailability of a vaccine. Both of these things are being worked on.

The other replacement is far more urgent, as a literal matter of life and death. It will be implemented on November 3, and take effect on January 20 of next year. This will be too late* for many, but will (with hope) provide some solace for their survivors.

*Relief may come earlier, because the alarming way these daily improv/infomercial sessions are drifting it might soon be time to invoke the 25th Amendment.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

PeterF wrote:Well obviously these problems can be solved through replacement.

We need a replacement for the Union show, somewhere in the central US and preferably taking place mid-year, but that likely can’t happen til next year because of the planning needed and the current unavailability of a vaccine. Both of these things are being worked on.

The other replacement is far more urgent, as a literal matter of life and death. It will be implemented on November 3, and take effect on January 20 of next year. This will be too late* for many, but will (with hope) provide some solace for their survivors.

*Relief may come earlier, because the alarming way these daily improv/infomercial sessions are drifting it might soon be time to invoke the 25th Amendment.

Agreed, on both.

I’m actually surprised that some people - dealers, an existing collectors group or society - haven’t started looking for a new location and venue and tried planning a new central US show by now. The interest must be there, no?