Brunswick Portable phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Brunswick Portable phonograph

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Good luck on the HMV 102. $100 is about what I would expect a soundbox to go for! The 102 is highly collectible.

And you saw and heard this one for real that day I dropped by: 202 Columbia. Honestly, they're hard to beat. They have a brass tone arm too, but the horn has a pot-metal elbow. Mine is in really nice shape and gets played a lot.

As for them being heavy, yes, they can be. But honestly, I don't walk around with a windup record player. I actually enjoy having the heavier, clumsier portables because they don't try to bounce off the table when you wind them. And even though the Grafonola is a rather stoutly built machine, it's a lot lighter than hauling a tabletop machine out somewhere, plus there's not a big horn to deal with. All my tabletops are horn machines except for the Amberola 30.

Besides, just how far would you be walking with it, anyway?
Attachments
DSC00191.JPG

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll y’all know what happens

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Actually quick question

$85 for the Brunswick portable? Yes or no? I’m not sure how hard it will Be to find a crank

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

dzavracky wrote:Actually quick question

$85 for the Brunswick portable? Yes or no? I’m not sure how hard it will Be to find a crank
The motor board screws are missing. My guess is that someone tried to wind it without the crank and it didn't work... and instead of stating that they are claiming "untested". ;) It's clean, so still worth consideration, but lift up the board and make sure that the motor's all there.

I'm not sure on the reproducer, either.

Go look at it, but don't overspend due to emotional involvement.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

No. Not in good condition and never was a quality piece to begin with. The 102 or the Columbia 160/161 are money more wisely spent.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

hmm okay. Well the seller isnt getting back to me for either :lol: . I would rather have the HMV than the brunswick too

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

JerryVan wrote:

No. Not in good condition and never was a quality piece to begin with. The 102 or the Columbia 160/161 are money more wisely spent.
I agree with Jerry... Just wait and something nice will show up. If you can still get the 102, go for it, but not the Brunswick (I wouldn''t want it for free).
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Well neither seller got back to me (which really bothers me for some reason. The person for the brunwsick even read my message! :roll: )

I decided not to get either of them. I will wait till I can get a good one. Instead I bought a basket case (and I really do mean basket case) Amberola 30 to restore ;). It was cheaper than the Brunswick anyways!

I appreciate all the feedback!

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You got an Amberola 30?

Congratulations on the best cheap 4m player available!

Let me know if it needs any wood work. I used to sell little veneer kits for those models & still have the contact info for the company that made the veneer. If enough people wanted veneer I could probably start up selling the kits again.

If you really want it to sound good, you'll want to drop in a new diaphragm. Larry H. makes a Truetone that's absolutely amazing with a nice full tone, Herman makes the Wondertone which had a clear and distinct sound, and Wyatt Markus has something out there but I haven't tried it yet. I still have a Wondertone that Mr Herman sent me as part of testing. If you needed it badly enough I could put my Truetone back in and mail you the Wondertone Diaphragm.

Save the old Edison diaphragm. That is nice to use for spare pieces; that little center cone makes a nice spider attachment for a Columbia Lyric...

Is your Amberola 30 the kind with a speed control on top, or no? If you have the one with the nickel reproducer and the speed dial that is the early model. The one with the plain lid, no speed dial, and a black reproducer is the third series, or late, model.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

after I rebuilt my Edison B-250 with the gasket from Wyatt, I haven't stopped listening to it. SO I am DEFINITELY going to be ordering another one. Ill attach some pics of it. The pieces are in bags and I have no idea how to put it together. I'm excited to learn how it works though

I think it's missing the black grate that goes in the front (Sorry I have no idea what it's called :lol: )
Attachments
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg