VV 8-7 Orthophonic horn question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
thatonejohn
Victor I

VV 8-7 Orthophonic horn question

Post by thatonejohn »

I picked up a really rough cabinet for a VV 8-7, it was cheap and needs a lot of work. Question I have at the moment is, is it possible to find a horn for this machine? or was the horn an integral part of the machine?

Other parts I know that it is missing is the entire mechanism and motorboard, the grill, one door and hardware, the metal kick plate, the hinge hardware for the rear shelf, and the wheels. I think the various pieces of wood that make up the rear shelf and the back of the machine were repurposed into some of the shelves, so unless they were cut, I have the correct rear wood pieces.

Interior wood is nice and unpainted, I just didn't get a good photo of it.
Attachments
vv_8-7_front.jpg
vv_8-7_rear.jpg
vv_8-7_shelves.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: VV 8-7 Orthophonic horn question

Post by Phono-Phan »

I would suggest contacting Ron Haring or George Vollema. You can search for their contact information in the "Links" section. It would be great to see this play records again.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Looks too far gone to me. I purchased a nice looking one at a phonograph auction for $500.00. They are out therel
I do have a Credenza horn in the garage if you can afford the shipping. There was a pull up shelf on the back of the cabinet. Is that removed as well??

thatonejohn
Victor I

Post by thatonejohn »

Skihawx wrote:Looks too far gone to me. I purchased a nice looking one at a phonograph auction for $500.00. They are out therel
I do have a Credenza horn in the garage if you can afford the shipping. There was a pull up shelf on the back of the cabinet. Is that removed as well??
I know there are machines out there to be had at reasonable prices, this was pretty cheap and I figured it could make a good record storage cabinet if nothing else.

Is the credenza horn the same size? I don't know anything about orthophonic horn sizes, or if they're even easily removed/installed. Hence the questions about the horn.

The pull up rear wood shelf was repurposed into one of the interior shelves, it's just missing the hardware and I'm hoping it wasn't cut.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

thatonejohn wrote:Is the credenza horn the same size? I don't know anything about orthophonic horn sizes, or if they're even easily removed/installed. Hence the questions about the horn.
According to what I've read, the horn in the 8-7 was smaller than the one used for the Credenza. For instance:

https://www.intertique.com/SchoolhouseOrthoIDDemo.html

According to the Victor Data Book, a medium size re-entrant horn was used. I'm wondering if it was fitted with the same horn used in the VV-8-4.

Can someone confirm?

OrthoFan

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This doesn't use the same horn as 8-8, 8-9, 8-35?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

JerryVan wrote:This doesn't use the same horn as 8-8, 8-9, 8-35?
No, the 8-7 had a wooden horn -- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37612&start=20

thatonejohn
Victor I

Post by thatonejohn »

OrthoFan wrote:
thatonejohn wrote:Is the credenza horn the same size? I don't know anything about orthophonic horn sizes, or if they're even easily removed/installed. Hence the questions about the horn.
According to what I've read, the horn in the 8-7 was smaller than the one used for the Credenza. For instance:

https://www.intertique.com/SchoolhouseOrthoIDDemo.html

According to the Victor Data Book, a medium size re-entrant horn was used. I'm wondering if it was fitted with the same horn used in the VV-8-4.

Can someone confirm?

OrthoFan
I just measured the cabinet, horn would have been 18 inches wide and 32 inches tall.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Not sure what the dimensions of the 8-4 is, but the 8-30 horn is 36.5” tall x 19” wide x 18.5” deep.