Is this as incredibly awesome as I think it is???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Is this as incredibly awesome as I think it is???

Post by travisgreyfox »

That is a really neat item to have in your collection. Thanks for coming here and showing it to us.

clarphon
Victor I

Post by clarphon »

Do you have a Talk-O-Phone to display with it??? I would love to put one of my 3 Talk-O-Phones on it. Great and unusual find. Congrats.

Stan
Portland, OR

LShaped
Victor I
Personal Text: Seeking LShaped Door advertising

Post by LShaped »

JerryVan wrote:That's been advertised for a while now. You can maybe deal some on the price.

EDIT: OH, I see you already bought it! Cool!
How wasnt that bought if it been there a while and is sooo cool? Seems odd. Had to be waiting for me to be randomly browsing Indianapolis FaceBook Mkt Place...smthn Ive literally NEVER done. LOL! Bizzarrrro...

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

clarphon wrote:Do you have a Talk-O-Phone to display with it??? I would love to put one of my 3 Talk-O-Phones on it. Great and unusual find. Congrats.

Stan
Portland, OR
Never knew "Talk-O-Phone" existed till ohhh about 6am...lol. So...Ill need a lil extra time lol

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I wondered what happened to Don’s stuff after he passed. He was one of the last surviving members of the House of David in Benton Harbor MI.

He also had an Edison B-60 Diamond Disc on it’s matching record cabinet which was quite spectacular, along with a very early Lyradion combination of 1922 vintage which used a regenerative set of Lyradion’s own manufacture.
Not sure who Don is, but I bought the trunk from House of David Museum. Would you like me to pass along a message? Apparently the Museum is have difficultiea with the lock down and needed to make room mfor renovations and stay afloat. Don would be happy to know his trunk will have a wonderful stay at my Cabin in Colorado. ❤

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

LShaped wrote:
JerryVan wrote:That's been advertised for a while now. You can maybe deal some on the price.

EDIT: OH, I see you already bought it! Cool!
How wasnt that bought if it been there a while and is sooo cool? Seems odd. Had to be waiting for me to be randomly browsing Indianapolis FaceBook Mkt Place...smthn Ive literally NEVER done. LOL! Bizzarrrro...
Yup, meant for you I guess! While I DO like it, it wouldn't be "my thing", as I have limitations on space, which this needs a lot of, and you can't play records on it ;) I'm happy you got it, you're the "right guy" for the right item!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Those folders in the lid seem too fragile to hold records, but I'll bet they did hold all the advertising materials, instruction, and order forms. The records were probably in a box of their own which fit into this.

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

estott wrote:Those folders in the lid seem too fragile to hold records, but I'll bet they did hold all the advertising materials, instruction, and order forms. The records were probably in a box of their own which fit into this.
Ill let ya know my thoughts when with it....if there are album dividers or such. Not sure either...but cool ino!

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Just speculating here, but I don't think this this a traveling salesman's trunk. It seems much too large. Rather, I think it's a trade show trunk, which the company would have used to ship their product line and promotional materials to different expo halls around the country. In fact it may have been Talk-O-Phone's only trade show trunk, which would make it even more uncommon. It just doesn't seem likely that a traveling salesman would be toting around a trunk the size of a meat freezer. I mean, think about it -- loaded with a bunch of phonographs, promotional materials, records and what have you, it would probably weigh a couple of hundred pounds, and even if it were being transported by train, getting it from the train to the retailers around town would have been a pretty exhausting proposition. Either way (salesman's trunk or trade show trunk), it's a really cool piece, and I think you did well buying it.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

Fonotone wrote:Just speculating here, but I don't think this this a traveling salesman's trunk. It seems much too large. Rather, I think it's a trade show trunk, which the company would have used to ship their product line and promotional materials to different expo halls around the country. In fact it may have been Talk-O-Phone's only trade show trunk, which would make it even more uncommon. It just doesn't seem likely that a traveling salesman would be toting around a trunk the size of a meat freezer. I mean, think about it -- loaded with a bunch of phonographs, promotional materials, records and what have you, it would probably weigh a couple of hundred pounds, and even if it were being transported by train, getting it from the train to the retailers around town would have been a pretty exhausting proposition. Either way (salesman's trunk or trade show trunk), it's a really cool piece, and I think you did well buying it.

-- Grant
very interesting take...+ makes me like it even more!! lololol.. makes alotta sense!!! very happy it was there waiting for me!!!