2-Clip Edison Standard & 46.5 Brown Wax Cylinders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Pathe Logical
Victor II

2-Clip Edison Standard & 46.5 Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by Pathe Logical »

An antiques dealer friend of mine called awhile back and asked if I would like to purchase a cylinder record player and some cylinders that were bought from an estate earlier that day. I was told if I wanted it all, I'd get a sweet package deal. Needless to say, I soon got in my car and went to see this friend!

When I arrived at the dealer's house, there sat a very nice, clean, respectable looking, 2-clip Edison Standard (complete with an Automatic Reproducer and shaver). I checked the machine over and was quite satisfied with the the whole thing. The bottom of the case was detached, but that was minor (at least it was still there)! I told myself I needed this machine!

Then I was shown a large, heavy, black, wooden box which came with the machine. This box turned out to be a homemade, double-sided, 48-count, cylinder record carrying case --- containing 46 intact brown wax cylinders (and one still playable half of an Uncle Josh cylinder). All of the cylinders were in boxes, and many of the cylinders were wrapped in what looked to be their original cotton batting and wax paper. 47 of the boxes holding the cylinders were quite unusual in that they had stickers adhered to them from the Kelly Cigar Company of Chicago, IL (six of these stickers had fallen off, and were found in the carrying case along with some loose record slips). One common Columbia cylinder box was also included. Unfortunately, the tops and/or bottoms of each cylinder box have a hole in them --- as the boxes were pierced by the skinny, wooden pegs used in the construction of the carrying case. I'm just happy these interesting, uncommon boxes exist!

I love sweet package deals! I realize this post concentrates more on the unusual, homemade cylinder carrying case and its contents than it does the accompanying machine. There are already plenty of posts concerning Edison Standards on this forum.

I have a question I would like answered concerning one of the record slips (see last picture below) --- What does "T.T.M.Co." stand for???

Thanks for looking,
Bob
Attachments
1) Edison 2-Clip Standard (Serial Number S14570)  Sitting On Top of Homemade, Double-Sided, 48-Count, Cylinder Record Carrying Case.   Several Loose Record Slips and Box Labels..JPG
2) Homemade, Double-Sided, 48-Count, Cylinder Record Carrying Case --- In Carrying Position..JPG
3) Homemade, Double-Sided, 48-Count, Cylinder Record Carrying Case --- Hinge Side..JPG
4) Homemade, Double-Sided, 48-Count, Cylinder Record Carrying Case --- Opened to Reveal Contents..JPG
5) Kelly Cigar Company Cylinder Box..JPG
6) Kelly Cigar Company Cylinder Box with Record and Record Slip Wrapped In Cotton and Paper..JPG
7) T.T.M.Co. Record Slip..JPG

melvind
Victor IV

Re: 2-Clip Edison Standard & 46.5 Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by melvind »

Wow Bob, nice find! The records are amazing!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Fantastic acquisition, congratulations.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

PERFECT 1890s machine and records!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Pathé Logical wrote:...
I have a question I would like answered concerning one of the record slips (see last picture below) --- What does "T.T.M.Co." stand for???

Thanks for looking,
Bob
If I had to guess, your answer is here: http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-0203.htm

Great find!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Wow! "Stuff" is still out there, yet to be uncovered.. Records and machine very probably have been together since new... I've run across many cylinder boxes with holes in their bottoms-- Never knew until now what the "why" was. :)

Congratulations on a wonderful find.

Brad Abell

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

outune wrote: I've run across many cylinder boxes with holes in their bottoms-- Never knew until now what the "why" was. :)
The early blue "Blue Amberol" boxes, and some wax "Amberol" boxes were manufactured with a hole in the base.

I put a small hole in the base of "Amberol" boxes without holes, and also in the base of foreign series "Gold Moulded" boxes with the red lid.

It allows air to pass through the hole when removing and replacing the lid, and helps prevent the top disc section of the lid popping off due to air pressure, particularly on lids that are a tight fit.