Will The Real Model S Reproducer Please Stand Up

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Will The Real Model S Reproducer Please Stand Up

Post by rgordon939 »

No apologies needed Doug just wanted to share what I know about the small body S reproducer.

If you look at the upcoming Donley Auction on May 16th you will see a large body Model-D reproducer. Good subject for a new post.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
CB220717-652B-42CE-9FC1-2924121E6A97.jpeg

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

Whilst not questioning the authenticity of this reproducer, why would Edison make this designation?. The S has a dubious advantage of a large diaphagm fitting in a small carrier, but surely this is a "K".

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

clevelander wrote:Whilst not questioning the authenticity of this reproducer, why would Edison make this designation?. The S has a dubious advantage of a large diaphagm fitting in a small carrier, but surely this is a "K".
It does seem strange, and what I find even stranger is on the small bodied S pictured by the OP, there is no licencing information etc around the outer circumference of the top, (even reproductions I've seen have it) but this only has a serial number.
With my very limited experience with various reproduced, this top looks more Ediphone style to me.

long_island_phono
Victor II

Post by long_island_phono »

clevelander wrote:Whilst not questioning the authenticity of this reproducer, why would Edison make this designation?. The S has a dubious advantage of a large diaphagm fitting in a small carrier, but surely this is a "K".
Steve Medved will confirm that the C-prefix CHK reproducer bodies were from the final run of reproducers made by the Edison Phonograph Works, sometime in the early 1920's! I believe that production stopped around 1924 for parts, someone or Steve should be able to correct or corroborate. I have a C-prefix body and was confused by it at first, too.

What is interesting is that late in the run of the A-prefix the Phono Works switched to potmetal, but then somewhere in the B-prefix run ( I believe) switched BACK to brass!

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

I found this guy the other day. It was on a Standard B with a cygnet. I think it was a put together, but I cannot understand why. Very odd.
Attachments
Resized_20200319_151333.jpeg
Resized_20200319_151231.jpeg