Columbia Grafonola Type L-2 -- cabinet variations?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zenger
Victor I

Columbia Grafonola Type L-2 -- cabinet variations?

Post by Zenger »

Most Columbia Grafonola Type L-2 phonographs I've seen have this carved banner frieze front and center just below the lid; but I have seen at least two where that panel is just plain. Did Columbia ship some out like that, or did that panel have a tendency to fall off on occasion? It looks like it could have been a separate panel that was pressed or nailed in, rather than being carved into the cabinet itself, but I have no idea.
Attachments
20200510_173713.jpg

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Re: Columbia Grafonola Type L-2 -- cabinet variations?

Post by Granby »

I did a little quick research for you - pulled out my old trusted copy of the Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume II by Robert W. Baumbach. It appears that some of the post 1924 models had this basic cabinet and lid design minus the fancy scrollwork. This may explain why you have seen some plain cabinets that seem very similar to an L-2. By this time through, the did not have the Letter/Number designation and were numbered like "Model 420" or "Model 430" (Baumback pages 212 - 213).

As it pertains to your specific question, I do remember coming across an L-2 in the past year or so at antique mall in VA and the scrollwork was missing. However, it was pretty obvious something was wrong. I can't remember if there were nail holes or raw wood, etc. But, I do remember thinking it looked odd. If I can think of anything else to add, I will post some more info....
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a lot of Columbia machines, but I have to admit, that those L-2s and other early 20s Columbias are rare birds. I think I've only seen one in 17 years of collecting! I think the company was in financial trouble at that time.

edisonphono
Victor O

Post by edisonphono »

My L-2 is shown on page 200 of the book "Discovering Antique Phonographs."
As found, the banner on mine was made of a pressed wood flour that was stained and attached to the cabinet with small brads. It was cracked, coming apart and required extensive repair. I've seen other L2's where this panel is carved and made in one piece.

Regards,

Bill Meyer
http://ascobill.wix.com/edisonphono