Is this the real Columbia Q horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Is this the real Columbia Q horn?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

pallophotophone wrote:Well,

The Q I gave as a gift to a friend had that same degree of flutter. The only way it could be completely eliminated was to replace all 3 weights and springs from a parts carcass.

So the warble is Being caused by the governor?

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

AmberolaAndy wrote:

The Q I gave as a gift to a friend had that same degree of flutter. The only way it could be completely eliminated was to replace all 3 weights and springs from a parts carcass.

Yes- either by out of balance weights or springs that are not of equal strength. Caused uneven rotation and subsequent flutter.
After giving this a little more thought- Your and my machines could have been like this since day 1. I've worked on and owned several Q's over the years and these 2 are the only ones I've ever found with this problem.

Replacing all 3 spring/weights cleared it up perfectly. And yes, you audio sounds just as bad as mine did beforehand.

Hope this is use full.

Bob

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

pallophotophone wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:

Yes- either by out of balance weights or springs that are not of equal strength. Caused uneven rotation and subsequent flutter.
After giving this a little more thought- Your and my machines could have been like this since day 1. I've worked on and owned several Q's over the years and these 2 are the only ones I've ever found with this problem.

Replacing all 3 spring/weights cleared it up perfectly. And yes, you audio sounds just as bad as mine did beforehand.

Hope this is use full.

Bob
Yeah, I had a hunch that governor was going to be Problematic even when I first got it. I remember seeing Edisonfan’s video on his Nipper’s Lounge YouTube channel and he said he got his Q’s governor redone by George Veloma?

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Unless you have a parts donor unit and can remove and reinstall the 6 very small fixing screws,then George Vollema (Great Lakes Antique Phonographs) would be perfect.
He probably has the right parts many times over. Ask for the old parts back- you can never know when they might come in handy.

One thing you might try before sending it off- Start the motor and approach the governor balls very, very carefully with a felt tipped marker. At one point, you should be able to touch the out of balance ball/ spring. The marker will leave a spot on that one assembly.

Good Luck With It !

B.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

I have used George for both parts and servicing with great results.

If you are mechanical and want to try it yourself, use a small flat head screw driver to take the weights and springs off. If the weights are of the same size then contact Ron Sitko for replacement governor springs as one is longer or shorter than the others. If the weights are different size then replace them as well.

Best of Luck

Bruce

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
fran604g wrote:Andy, have you added your Q to the questionnaire? If not, please do. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38225

Best,
Fran
I believe I had. On the first page.
You're correct, thank you Andy. I should've checked before I asked. :oops:
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.