The return on the Edison Home!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: The return on the Edison Home!

Post by dzavracky »

Curt A wrote:That really looks good, David... If you wipe some amber shellac over the decal using a clean cloth, the decal will look aged and disappear into the finish... As far as the blue striping goes, I think it looks good the way it is. If you try to paint over the original it may get screwed up because of paint incompatibility or just look crappy from trying to tape it... If you are really determined, use Gregg's decals and place them over the original...

Wipe or spray shellac? I’ve heard mixed opinions about this. I’ll probably leave the pin stripping haha but I was curious if I could make it perfect

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The pinstripes are good as some and better than most; I'd leave them.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

dzavracky wrote:
Curt A wrote:That really looks good, David... If you wipe some amber shellac over the decal using a clean cloth, the decal will look aged and disappear into the finish... As far as the blue striping goes, I think it looks good the way it is. If you try to paint over the original it may get screwed up because of paint incompatibility or just look crappy from trying to tape it... If you are really determined, use Gregg's decals and place them over the original...

Wipe or spray shellac? I’ve heard mixed opinions about this. I’ll probably leave the pin stripping haha but I was curious if I could make it perfect
Glad I was able to help. From my experience I think its always better to spray the shellac over the decal, Gregg's decals are especially thin, and even after lots of drying and application of micro sol, wiping or brushing the shellac on can remove or lift either the decal or some of the clear film. Unfortunately, spray shellac is not perfect and gives somewhat of an orange peel textured surface. What I would do is spray a layer of shellac over it (preferably multiple thin coats), lightly sand down the textured surface then wipe some amber shellac over it by hand. This was the perfect project to learn how to do this stuff, and this is really turning out well.

Martin

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

That sounds good Martin.

I definitely would’ve ruined the decal if you hadn’t helped me :? I’ve never even applied a decal to a model airplane or car or whatever. I was shocked how thin how decal was!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

You have done an excellent job of bringing a derilect machine back to life. I also agree about the pinstriping. It looks to be in good condition and the extra blue striping is a definite plus.

Jim

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The added step of spraying clear shellac or lacquer to protect the decal before using amber shellac is a good idea... Unfortunately, amber shellac isn't available as a spray, so use a clean cloth to apply it. I have applied the amber shellac over Gregg's decals - carefully - without that step and no problem, but I agree that being cautious is a better plan.

Gregg's decals are definitely thinner than most commercial type decals, but they are the best quality.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I tried carefully wiping on shellac today. The first coat looked really good and I should’ve just left it as is. But I wanted it just a little bit darker and I tried a second coat. Needless to say the second coat looks absolutely horrible. If there is anyway I can fix this please let me know because I’m really upset with how it looks at this point

It’s splotchy and little bubbles formed

Here’s some pics
Attachments
45F65F3B-9E96-43E2-B3A3-F96126CCF5F7.jpeg
0F83F98F-5B77-41EA-8148-9D2D6A04FBED.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Maybe try your finest sandpaper, and not enough to abrade the decal. Scuff the bubbles a bit (not enough to make them go away but some) then put more shellac over it while it is nice and dry... the weather must be nice for this. I never had luck with refinishing in the kind of weather we're having lately. You want nice and DRY days.

More shellac will dissolve bubbles & brush-strokes but make sure the stuff is thinned enough with alcohol not to come out filled with bubbles.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Maybe try your finest sandpaper, and not enough to abrade the decal. Scuff the bubbles a bit (not enough to make them go away but some) then put more shellac over it while it is nice and dry... the weather must be nice for this. I never had luck with refinishing in the kind of weather we're having lately. You want nice and DRY days.

More shellac will dissolve bubbles & brush-strokes but make sure the stuff is thinned enough with alcohol not to come out filled with bubbles.

Okay. I have a really fine sanding block, I’ll give it a shot tomorrow

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I tried JB welding the orginal broken casting tonight. It was really easy and turned out really good!

I should use McGuire's scratch x2 auto body polish to shine up the bed plate? The pinstriping on this one is really good so I’d like to improve it if I can.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Broken piece
Broken piece