Dating Graphophones by their decals

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Dating Graphophones by their decals

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’m sorry if this is on a thread already. But is there sort of guide on how to date the manufacture of Graphophones by the addresses on the Decals? Like the ones that say “New York and Paris” were made from XXXX to XXXX and the ones with the three Broadway addresses were made from XXXX to XXXX?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Dating Graphophones by their decals

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, if you're a member of the Antique Phonograph Society, go to the online archive of articles and look at the September 2016 issue of its full-color magazine, The Antique Phonograph. There's an article titled, "Cylinder Graphophone Banner Decals: Chronology and Variations." 16 different decals are illustrated and described.

George P.

https://www.antiquephono.org/join-us-home/

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:Yes, if you're a member of the Antique Phonograph Society, go to the online archive of articles and look at the September 2016 issue of its full-color magazine, The Antique Phonograph. There's an article titled, "Cylinder Graphophone Banner Decals: Chronology and Variations." 16 different decals are illustrated and described.

George P.

https://www.antiquephono.org/join-us-home/
I had a feeling it would be in one of those articles. I’ll try to convince my family to help me subscribe to your publication, but I’ll probably be met with opposition.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

AmberolaAndy wrote: I had a feeling it would be in one of those articles. I’ll try to convince my family to help me subscribe to your publication, but I’ll probably be met with opposition.
It's not "my publication;" I just write for the magazine. We're all volunteers.

Tell your family that it's a great birthday/holiday present, and costs only $2.50 per month. That's 8 cents a day.

"The more you know, the luckier you get!"

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote: I had a feeling it would be in one of those articles. I’ll try to convince my family to help me subscribe to your publication, but I’ll probably be met with opposition.
It's not "my publication;" I just write for the magazine. We're all volunteers.

Tell your family that it's a great birthday/holiday present, and costs only $2.50 per month. That's 8 cents a day.

"The more you know, the luckier you get!"

George P.
That ain’t much. I pay more a month for newspapers.com I’m sure they will agree. They’re stingy with money but not THAT stingy,

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Really dumb question. So I pay the $32 on antiquephono.org I’m subscribed?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Really dumb question. So I pay the $32 on antiquephono.org I’m subscribed?
Yes. If you have any difficulty with your user name and/or password, just drop a note through the "Contact Us" page and you'll get help right away. (From smart people, not me.)

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Really dumb question. So I pay the $32 on antiquephono.org I’m subscribed?
Yes. If you have any difficulty with your user name and/or password, just drop a note through the "Contact Us" page and you'll get help right away. (From smart people, not me.)

George P.
Got it. I get paid tomorrow so I’ll try to get the $32 in soon.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Checked into the site, tried to search the archives, and the article is not there: I just keep getting booted back to the search page. :?

- Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Lucius1958 wrote:Checked into the site, tried to search the archives, and the article is not there: I just keep getting booted back to the search page. :?

- Bill
The article is there, but the search function has been wonky. The APS has a couple of people working on it now. Please check back later. :)

If the problem persists, let me know and I'll send you a PDF of the article (as long as you're an APS member of course!).

George P.