Columbia Graphophone - First Pose

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DougMac
Victor Jr

Columbia Graphophone - First Pose

Post by DougMac »

Greetings! I need some help identifying the machine pictured. To me, it looks similar to a Columbia BNW. Does is look authentic, not a Frankenphone?

Since this is my first post, I'll tell you a little about myself. I've loved 78's since I was 8 and discovered a record cabinet with my grandfather's records. This was helped by "60 Years of Music America Loves Best". I found there was a lot of fun music as well as classical on 78's, such as "Der Fuehrer's Face". My interest was revived when I attended school in LA. I listened to Dr. Demento on KMET before he was syndicated. He played a lot of 78 music on his four hour show. I started collecting again and now have more than 3,000 78's.

I do have a floor model Victrola (can't remember model #), but I use a Technics SP-15 with Stanton, Grado and AT carts to play my 78's. I also have restoration software and love to clean up my favorites.

Regards,
Doug
Attachments
Grafanola.JPG

Re: Columbia Graphophone - First Pose

Post by Guest »

"You appear to be the possessor of a Columbia built "Client Machine" (made as a "house brand" for various department stores and mail order concerns.). Machines with this particular style cabinet are often found equipped with a very small imported motor and a "ROYAL" name-plate, although I have seen others which were fitted with a two-spring motor, bearing the decalcomania "Berger's Department Store, 8520 Detroit Ave. Cleveland OH", and "Symphoion, Ludwig Bauman"..

DougMac
Victor Jr

Re: Columbia Graphophone - First Post

Post by DougMac »

Darn! First post and I misspell in the title! Anyway, this is the closest I can find to what I think I have. I notice the horn in this photo is more plain than the one on mine.

I'm really interested in whether the horn and arm color are correct or someone has just painted them black at a later date. If I restore, I'd like to make it as authentic as possible.

BTW, I found this machine two weeks ago at an antiques fair. We were in the Miata so there was no place to put it! The lady from which we bought it was kind enough to take it home until we could return to pick it up.
Attachments
ColBNW.jpg
ColBNW.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

so you're writing/asking about two different machines?

DougMac
Victor Jr

Post by DougMac »

brianu wrote:so you're writing/asking about two different machines?
Sorry for the confusion. My bad. The second photo is one I found on the internet. It's the closest to the machine I just bought, which appears in the first post.

They are very similar. I can't find a photo of one just like the one I bought and was asking for some guidance. Since I'm new to the forum, are there some Columbia experts here?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Hi Doug,
Welcome to the forum. The first machine is a Columbia client, not a frankenphone. Columbia made these machines for Sears, Montgomery Ward, Spiegel, and various organizations. Sometimes stores would order these machines and put on a decal or a plate. Also, these machines were premiums. This machine is one of those clients. I would date it from about 1912 -15. The second machine is a BNW. Columbia machines are very interesting with so many different variations. That's why I like them.
Harvey Kravitz

DougMac
Victor Jr

Post by DougMac »

Thanks Harvey! Is the color correct? Would the horn and arm have been black originally? Since it is a client machine, is it of lesser value than a true Columbia?

I didn't buy it for its value and I didn't pay much for it. I've just always wanted an external horn machine.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The paint on the horn is most likely original; and some of the least expensive Grafonolas also had a black japanned tone arm, so that's probably original as well.

Bill

Note: I've found a photo in Fabrizio & Paul's The Talking Machine - An Illustrated Compendium of an "Imperial #2" client machine, very similar to yours, which also has a black tone arm...
Last edited by Lucius1958 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Doug, a hearty welcome to the Forum.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.