Midwest Phonograph/Record Show for June 2021!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Midwest Phonograph/Record Show for June 2021!

Post by melvind »

Jerry was just stating the success of the Los Angeles show in recent years because of APS efforts. They are the same group putting together the new show somewhere in the midwest United States starting next year. They really do know how to do this and I am excited they are pushing forward with it. And, it provides a centralized place for East and West coast collectors to exchange things from the shows that are on the coasts. The central location is a great hub for such things.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Jerry B. wrote:I love the Midwest locations like St Louis, Kansas City, and Des Moines, and Omaha but more for personal reasons. I already drive about 4500 miles roundtrip to Union and back. But for a successful show I think we need.

1- The largest possible population base as possible.
2- We need the show close to this population base to attract affluent potential buyers.
3- We need an international air port to avoid connecting flights if possible.
4- Ideally we need an active collector base in this area to do much of the legwork for the show.
5- The show must be promoted.

Union historically has been a hub where east meets west. I allows collectors to travel to the opposite coast to a show and know that the collector network can get their item to the hub show and back to their home. It will make Wayne, Orlando and the APS Expo better shows.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. The APS sale in the Los Angeles area has been going for decades. But in a time of seemingly declining interest and lack of new collectors, the last two years of the APS Expo have been the best California shows ever. And there are reasons for this success. Firstly, there is an active population of local collectors that have graciously volunteered their time and effort to make it a successful show. Secondly, there is a huge potential population base. Thirdly, there are several airports to make travel easy. The show is held in the center of many tourist destinations. Lastly but hugely important, APS has successfully promoted the show to attract new buyers that potentially become new collectors.

My personal experience at the APS Expo has been very positive. I try to take items that appeal to entry level buyers as well as collectors. I judge any sale by three things. Am I busy? Did I sell well? Did I take home a personal prize? My answer is a big yes to all three questions. I believe APS has the knowledge and experience to make a Midwest show successful.

Jerry Blais

I agree with Jerry and I look forward to hearing where APS decides to have a "Mid-West" show. I hope it will be well attended like the Union Show of years ago. There were a hundred or more waiting at the door to get in. I also hope that many of the same dealers that have set up at Union also will set up at the new site. The Union show has always been a sort of "Re-Union" show for me. I really appreciate APS's effort in establishing a replacement for the Union Show. I am sure it is no small task.
Ken Brekke
Ken Brekke

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Just curious but does Midwest mean Midwest or Midwest coast?
Sorry if there was any confusion. I meant mid-country. I mentioned the show in Buena Park because it has been so good recently thanks to APS leadership. I think we're in good hands with those same people and a Midwest show.

Jerry

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

No need to be sorry Jerry.
I'm probably the only person who got confused due to my lack of knowledge about USA.

Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Post by Phonotom »

I will miss Union a lot. I have been going nearly 20 years. I am glad to hear that the APS Committee is looking at options for 2021. I would like to suggest that the committee look at Des Moines Iowa. Des Moines Airport Holiday Inn is where the largest gas show is held. This motel would work great for a phonograph show. The Des Moines International Airport is right across the road from the Holiday Inn where the gas show is held. They have a huge paved parking lot and 12,000 square foot air conditioned in door exhibit area. They run a shuttle to the airport. If you go to www.iowagas.com you can get an idea of what to expect from a show in Des Moines. This would be closer for the West coast collectors / dealers and the South. More evened out. Looking forward to 2021. Tom

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I just talked to the person in charge of Tri County Fair grounds in Mendota IL and they are interested in hosting! If anyone would like to ask them questions message me, and I will give you the number.

Phonotom
Victor II

Post by Phonotom »

Hi all; just checking to see if there had been any decisions on where the 2021 Midwest show will be located? Is there a time frame if no decisions have been made yet? Is the committee still open to suggestions? Sorry so many questions I am just getting excited for a show to happen in the Midwest. I know there is a lot of interest and anticipation. George I hope you answer these questions. Thanks, Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Phonotom wrote:Hi all; just checking to see if there had been any decisions on where the 2021 Midwest show will be located? Is there a time frame if no decisions have been made yet? Is the committee still open to suggestions? Sorry so many questions I am just getting excited for a show to happen in the Midwest. I know there is a lot of interest and anticipation. George I hope you answer these questions. Thanks, Tom
The APS is having a Board meeting tomorrow via teleconference in which the 2021 show will be an agenda item. There has been much work/discussion on this since the original APS announcement on May 16. This project was made more complex by the Donley's announcement on May 20 that they were postponing the Union show until June 2021.

The good news is that there will be a Midwest show in 2021.

George P.

Phonotom
Victor II

Post by Phonotom »

Thanks George, I am anxious to hear what the plans are.

AllenReisner
Victor Jr

Post by AllenReisner »

Ongoing uncertainty with the Covid-19 pandemic must make event planning such as this much more difficult.