Nice Victrola XVIII in Illinois that Got Away

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Garret
Victor IV

Nice Victrola XVIII in Illinois that Got Away

Post by Garret »

Was making arrangements to purchase, only to see it was sold as I was doing so. Someone got a nice deal!

https://www.estatesales.net/marketplace/items/134380

Garret

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Nice Victrola XVIII in Illinois that Got Away

Post by gramophoneshane »

For when the link expires
Attachments
Screenshot_20200519-224858.png

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I seen that one too and was trying to brainstorm a way to get the money and get it here (even though I knew neither were possible at them moment :lol: )

I hope somebody here got it and can clean it up and take some more pics for us.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

The Estate Sale business is taking a big hit right now. Especially in Illinois. What once was cash and carry now is pay online & come and get it. Brie’s Estate sales also has a now closed brick and mortar store. So they want to liquidate merchandise fast as there will be a glut of estates coming soon.

Also Illinois is home to several phonograph collectors and some major dealers. So it’s probably in enthusiasts hands. It may even pop up at the last Union show :D

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Damfino59 wrote:The Estate Sale business is taking a big hit right now. Especially in Illinois. What once was cash and carry now is pay online & come and get it.
Frankly, I find this a bit fairer than standing in line, which can sometimes be a bit of a grab bag. I'm actually surprised that estate sale companies aren't moving to the online auction model used by EBTH.

Garret

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Garret wrote:
Damfino59 wrote:The Estate Sale business is taking a big hit right now. Especially in Illinois. What once was cash and carry now is pay online & come and get it.
Frankly, I find this a bit fairer than standing in line, which can sometimes be a bit of a grab bag. I'm actually surprised that estate sale companies aren't moving to the online auction model used by EBTH.

Garret
As someone who conducts estate sales in Illinois (currently shut down due to the pandemic), it takes 4 times the work to conduct an online sale and, so far, we are selling only 35% of the items. We are going to wait out the shelter in place order unless a client needs the sale done ASAP.
Mike

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

colmike1 wrote:
Garret wrote:

Garret
As someone who conducts estate sales in Illinois (currently shut down due to the pandemic), it takes 4 times the work to conduct an online sale and, so far, we are selling only 35% of the items. We are going to wait out the shelter in place order unless a client needs the sale done ASAP.
Mike
I wondered about this, and where the tradeoff lies exactly. Don't the items sold online bring more money, though, even if fewer are sold? That would probably leave a lot of bits and pieces to clean up, too. I briefly worked in the auction business, and my supervisor would sometimes accept whole estates just to get the chance to sell a few prized items. What was left would be sold in box lots or dumped.