Adaptor for playing Diamond Discs on normal gramophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Menophanes
Victor II

Adaptor for playing Diamond Discs on normal gramophone?

Post by Menophanes »

Is there, or was there ever, such a thing as an adaptor which would allow a conventional (lateral-groove) machine to play Edison Diamond Discs? I have a Pathé sound-box and elbow which will fit my H.M.V. 101 and 109, but I understand this is not suitable for Edison records. I imagine that the horizontal configuration of Edison reproducers would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve an acceptable tracking position unless one were to replace the whole tone-arm. On the other hand it is galling to be cut off from experiencing these records at first hand because of the non-availability of Edison disc machines in Britain.

Oliver Mundy.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Adaptor for playing Diamond Discs on normal gramophone?

Post by barnettrp21122 »

There's the Claravox Adaptor that plays Edison discs very well. It's sized to fit on Victor Exhibition or No. 2 soundbox crooks. I don't know if they'd fit your machines. Maybe someone can say.
These are sought-after and can be occasionally found on Ebay.
Bob
Claravox%20with%20box1.jpg
Claravox%20closeup%20underside.jpg
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, there are adaptors for HMV or Victor machines that allow the playing of a Diamond Disc record. I would think there is a reasonable chance if locating one with a "wanted" ad in Trader Section of our Forum.

Jerry Blais

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Menophanes wrote:Is there, or was there ever, such a thing as an adaptor which would allow a conventional (lateral-groove) machine to play Edison Diamond Discs? I have a Pathé sound-box and elbow which will fit my H.M.V. 101 and 109, but I understand this is not suitable for Edison records. I imagine that the horizontal configuration of Edison reproducers would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve an acceptable tracking position unless one were to replace the whole tone-arm. On the other hand it is galling to be cut off from experiencing these records at first hand because of the non-availability of Edison disc machines in Britain.

Oliver Mundy.
Here is one coming up for sale :

https://auctions.jsfineart.co.uk/auctio ... 8c00d786ed

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Here is an example of an Edephone reproducer made in Los Angeles, California for the purpose of playing Edison Diamond Discs. It is one of several types manufactured at the time for that purpose.
Attachments
IMG_4335.jpg
IMG_4334.jpg
IMG_4333.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Beautiful MS! :mrgreen:

Jerry

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Here is another style called a Vicsonia that was just on ebay.
eBay item number:133415018300

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've got a Jewel and Pathé adaptor like yours and both play diamond discs pretty well.
The main thing is to make sure you use an appropriate stylus.
Most resemble a Pathé ball stylus and shank, but for DD's they need a conical point.

I believe both Cheney and Sonora versions can be found, and I have some by Oro-tone that work well.
I thought these were all diamond styli, but as you can see below, some obviously have sapphire conical stylus.

The trouble I've found with most of these adaptors for lateral machines, is they have pretty bad tracking error, and you can end up with the stylus landing close to an inch in front of the centre spindle.
The same is going to be true playing Pathé verticals though.

Apparently the Claravox and Visconia adaptors do work very well, but those I've seen on eBay tend to sell for a lot more than other brands, especially the Visconia.

I haven't seen the Edephone adaptor shown above before, but it appears that it would have the best tracking error of them all.

It may actually be cheaper to find an inexpensive off brand machine with a tonearm that's capable of playing both lateral and vertical records, as these usually have less tracking error than the adaptors.
Personally, I really like machines with the Fletcher tonearm and soundbox, as they play verticals extremely well.

Then of course there's Brunswick machines with Ultonas for DD's, but I've never owned or heard one myself, so can't really comment on those, but of all the adaptor and machines I have had experience with, none of them produce the volume and sound quality of an Edison diamond disc machine.

But whatever way you choose to go, the most important thing is going to be getting the right needle in good condition.
Attachments
IMG_20200520_223802.jpg
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

If you already have an elbow to re-orient the reproducer then all you need is a proper sized stylus. Below is a video I made using such a setup, the fidelity was quite good.

https://youtu.be/Uys5NBoPHRE

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here is another option---Brunswick Ultona triple-purpose soundbox with simple adaptor playing on an EMG tonearm. The Ultona is a brilliant design and also incorporates an extremely helpful counter-weight. The diamond setting allows pretty reasonable tracking but the Pathé set-up is not good although, because of the spherical sapphire, discs will play without damage. Sound output seems to be as good as a dedicated Edison machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNj7w3bcI1c