Columbia Eagle Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
randymullx
Victor O

Columbia Eagle Questions

Post by randymullx »

I have an Eagle that looks really nice but just sounds terrible as compared to my Edison 2-minute machines. I thought the reproducer was at least part of the problem and it is. I purchased one of the reproductions for the Q and it sounds a little better but that's not the whole problem and I do like the way the smaller reproducer looks on the machine although I'm not sure it is an original. It does not have the original stepped diaphragm.....it is just a flat mica and while I was working on it, the stylus connector popped loose from the diaphragm. How is the connection usually made? Is it wax or some type of glue (mine appears to have been some type of glue)? If glue, then what type is recommended?

There is also a great deal of "wavering" when the machine plays. I don't see anything obvious other than that the feed screw appears to have a least ⅛" of play....is that normal? I assume there should be a little play but this amount seems excessive. Are there any suggestions or "gotch ya's" I need to know if I remove the feed screw to inspect?

Thanks,
Randy
Attachments
IMG_3546.jpg
IMG_3546.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Columbia Eagle Questions

Post by Lucius1958 »

That's the same style of #2 reproducer I have on my 1899 AT: on an early Eagle, it should be quite correct.

Have you replaced the gaskets? That's a key step in improving the sound; and how's the stylus? Any wear?

Traditionally, the stylus mount would be glued on with burnt shellac; but superglue is acceptable.

As for "wavering", do you mean flutter? Flutter is usually caused by problems with the governor: loose or mismatched weights or springs; sometimes a slightly warped disc. The excess play in the feed screw doesn't help, either.

Hope this advice is of some help.

- Bill