The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help identifying Columbia model
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:59 pm 
Victor Jr
I bought this a few years ago. Got some parts from George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonograph and he says its for sure a Columbia, but he didn't know what model. He guessed mid 20s. When I bought it it just said Columbia Queen Anne, which just describes the type of cabinet. I was hoping someone from the group may know model it is. Someone must have thought the data plate looked neat because it has been removed. Thanks for looking.

Attachments:
File comment: Tone arm.
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4224.JPG [ 1018.36 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]
File comment: Looking down.
IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4221.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 533 times ]
File comment: This is the front.
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 533 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help identifying Columbia model
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 pm 
Victor III
On consultation of Baumbach's The Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 2, the closest thing I see is a Queen Anne (P-20), described as the least expensive in the "period style" collection of machines. Introduced in 1917 for $250; price was raised to $325 in 1920 and then reduced to $275 in 1921. The buyer could knock $15 off the price by taking a spring motor instead of electric. The book says nothing about how many springs. The machine would have had a silk grille cloth, but the book says nothing about color or pattern, if any.

Yours is not an exact match for the picture in the book, but that seems to be the closest one. If it is in fact a P-20 Queen Anne, I'm thinking Columbia must have simplified the cabinet somewhere along the line (perhaps in conjunction with that price reduction in 1921), as the one in the picture has a little more ornamental detail.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm 
Victor VI
drh wrote:
On consultation of Baumbach's The Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 2, the closest thing I see is a Queen Anne (P-20), described as the least expensive in the "period style" collection of machines. Introduced in 1917 for $250; price was raised to $325 in 1920 and then reduced to $275 in 1921. The buyer could knock $15 off the price by taking a spring motor instead of electric. The book says nothing about how many springs. The machine would have had a silk grille cloth, but the book says nothing about color or pattern, if any.

Yours is not an exact match for the picture in the book, but that seems to be the closest one. If it is in fact a P-20 Queen Anne, I'm thinking Columbia must have simplified the cabinet somewhere along the line (perhaps in conjunction with that price reduction in 1921), as the one in the picture has a little more ornamental detail.

Didn't they also have a less expensive line of "Semi-Period" models? This particular one may not be in the book.

- Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:52 am 
Victor Jr
Thanks drh and Bill.
I don't see any evidence of "silk" having been over the grill. The cabinet is rather basic and I'm not sure what kind of wood. I understand mahogany was widely used back then. The cabinet has a few rough spots, so I may think of refinishing it sometime. It appears to have had a finish wiped on it once, because I can see a build up around the legs.
When I purchased it, the paperwork said it had a rebuilt motor, I suspect that just indicates a new spring and grease.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am 
Victor IV
Could that be a Harmony Phonograph, manufactured by Columbia?

I'm wondering what the doors of your phonograph look like, because the cabinet is very close to this one:

https://www.ontheblockauction.com/lot/8 ... honograph/

I also see four holes where the missing Harmony name plate would be on your model.

OrthoFan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am 
Victor Jr
Thanks OrthoFan

I wish they had a photo of the inside showing the tonearm, and controls.
But I think you found it!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 pm 
Victor III
Honk, honk.
I think this was just a low end Columbia model that's was re-branded for their harmony line.

Here's the same model from an offer-up listing as a Harmony.(https://offerup.com/item/detail/19872997/)

Attachments:
offerup.jpg
offerup.jpg [ 120.19 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm 
Victor VI
Benjamin_L wrote:
I think this was just a low end Columbia model that's was re-branded for their harmony line.

Here's the same model from an offer-up listing as a Harmony.(https://offerup.com/item/detail/19872997/)

I think we have a winner!

-Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 pm 
Victor IV
Lucius1958 wrote:
Benjamin_L wrote:

-Bill

Well, I mentioned it earlier (scroll up), but I'll agree to share the prize. Perhaps you could give each of us a Black Patti record, or a copy of Kansas City Kitty on Blue Amberol or Edison Needle cut? ;)

OrthoFan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:32 pm 
Victor III
Honk, honk.
OrthoFan wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:
Benjamin_L wrote:

-Bill

Well, I mentioned it earlier (scroll up), but I'll agree to share the prize. Perhaps you could give each of us a Black Patti record, or a copy of Kansas City Kitty on Blue Amberol or Edison Needle cut? ;)

OrthoFan

Ops, my fault I didn't see your comment before posting :?