Wanted- Spring(s) for Victrola vv -ix

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnesypoo
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Barnesypoo

Wanted- Spring(s) for Victrola vv -ix

Post by barnesypoo »

Hello, newbie here. I have a vv-ix in need of at least one motor spring. Can you point me to where I might find one or two to purchase? Thanks a lot!

Victor VI

Re: Wanted- Spring(s) for Victrola vv -ix

Post by 52089 »

See the list of repair and service people in the Links section of the board. Ron Sitko and George Vollema are the most recommended people for this. They will sell you a spring and/or install it for a fee.
Last edited by 52089 on Thu May 28, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Those fellows will sell you springs if you're mechanically up to the task. You also have the option of sending the entire motor or just the spring barrel or barrels. I'd suggest removing the spring barrels,after the motor is completely run down and sending them.

Jerry B.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Reasonable advice from the previous replies. I always service my own Victrola motors including replacing the springs when needed. It is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined, and you either read how to do it or watch well-made tutorial videos. Safety is important, so wear safety glasses/goggles. Wearing gloves is also recommended.

Some people are up to the challenge (DIY types), while others don't like to get their hands dirty.

If you decide to order the springs and do the work yourself, you will need to be able to describe to Ron or George exactly what you need. Some springs have a "bent end" that holds them in place, others have a pear-shaped hole. Some are bent on the arbor end, and have a pear hole on the outer end.

Good luck.
Best regards ... AZ*

barnesypoo
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Barnesypoo

Post by barnesypoo »

Thanks everyone! I have dismantled the unit and have cleaned all the parts. I love the challenge of replacing the springs myself and saw the pillow case trick and also the wool jacket, gloves and eye protection! Wish me luck and thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

-pb