Why so much for this VV-VIII?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Why so much for this VV-VIII?

Post by Victrolacollector »

Why so much for this VV-VIII? I stopped at 150.00 and it sold for more than double it’s value.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2634733325

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Why so much for this VV-VIII?

Post by Jwb88 »

EDITED COMMENT: I just realized eBay took me to a VV-50 for sale rather than the ended listing you're talking about.

Who knows. Ebay = convenience for the buyer, risk for the seller. Maybe it's that.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I don't think it was all that much, even though I wouldn't have bought it.

They did have good photos, which can be rare. Plus they got that whitewashed reclaimed barn wood background goin' on. You KNOW that = $$$ :lol:

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I guess its real value is $310. :)

The VV-VIII sold in small numbers and is not as common as its table model contemporaries the IV, VI, or IX. It's not as heavy as the IX and has good lines. It's the smallest Victrola with a lid. It has many good qualities.

I didn't spend a great deal of time looking at the Ebay VIII but my first impression was positive. I think the last one I sold at a show was $250 or $275 so this one is in the ballpark. Better luck next time. Jerry B.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Maybe somebody watched the video from your "Does he know what he is doing?" post, and wanted one just like the expert [sic] has. :squirrel:
Best regards ... AZ*

Victrolacollector
Victor V

AZ* wrote:Maybe somebody watched the video from your "Does he know what he is doing?" post, and wanted one just like the expert [sic] has. :squirrel:
You know I honestly thought the same thing, that’s ironic or just coincidence about the one in the video. I do have a later model VV-VIII that I paid 150.00 for. I just thought this one would have been nice with the flat crank, and it was also located in Indiana.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

We can look at this as a positive thing. Maybe prices have bottomed out.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Victrolacollector wrote:
AZ* wrote:Maybe somebody watched the video from your "Does he know what he is doing?" post, and wanted one just like the expert [sic] has. :squirrel:
You know I honestly thought the same thing, that’s ironic or just coincidence about the one in the video. I do have a later model VV-VIII that I paid 150.00 for. I just thought this one would have been nice with the flat crank, and it was also located in Indiana.
Django wrote:We can look at this as a positive thing. Maybe prices have bottomed out.
Absolutely...maybe I should have held onto my VV-XI and not sold it for 500.00 when I could have waited a year and sold it for what I had invested.. $800.00 :lol:

Victrolacollector
Victor V

I have the VV-VIII, F model with that mid-teens noisy motor with the governor at an angle. I think the best VV-VIII is the later models with the glass covered speed indicator and the Burton motor with the Governor horizontal with the drive gear. That Burton style motor is probably the best and most quietest motor that Victor made.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

I have a female crank oak 8 and a male crank ---really DARK DARK brown oak 8, never can tell if the price could just be a fluke.
Last edited by emerson on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.