Edison Concert Reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Edison Concert Reproducer

Post by KCW »

Hi everyone,

I’ve got an automatic reproducer on my Edison Concert. It need a rebuild, which I will have done professionally. In the meantime, can I use a Model C in its place? Thank you!

KCW

PS - if not, what could I use?

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Edison Concert Reproducer

Post by rgordon939 »

No, the angle of the tail weight is not correct for a Triumph and will drag on the cylinder. You can use an Automatic, Model-B, Model-D, or a Model -J.

Rich Gordon

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

KCW wrote:In the meantime, can I use a Model C in its place?
No. The model C reproducer weight was designed for use with standard size cylinders only. The bend or angle of the weight is too great. You can use a model B (my favorite for use on my Edison Concert Phonographs), Model D (I have 2 of these and don't use or like either of them and they're very scarce) or an Automatic (I have several of these and never cared for the sound they produce versus the model B).

Whichever reproducer you choose to play your Edison Concert or Columbia Grand cylinders make SURE that the stylus is resting correctly on the cylinder surface BEFORE playing a cylinder. The rotational surface speed of these cylinders is high and it does not take much force (or time) to permanently injure a groove on these brown wax cylinders. It happened to me once when I had finished rebuilding one of my model D reproducers. The stylus bar (and stylus) was positioned slightly too low and I forgot to look underneath the reproducer to check that all was fine for positioning before playing an otherwise beautiful condition Concert cylinder...and when I lowered the carriage, I quickly noticed tiny bits of brown wax debris building up on the surface. I made an adjustment to the wire link and all was fine. But I'll never make that mistake again.

Doug

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Here’s my Edison Concert Model-B Banner Case machine playing a nice cylinder with a Model-B reproducer.

Rich Gordon

https://youtu.be/I7jogL_FmdM