Homemade Model B to D Conversion?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zener424
Victor Jr

Homemade Model B to D Conversion?

Post by Zener424 »

I received this bed-plate from Jerry B. to salvage for some parts. At first glance with no end-gate it appears to be an Edison Home Model D.
But after soaked and taken apart one notices that this had an end-gate and it was hacked off.
In addition there it has a 2/4 minute conversion. However its not like any other conversion I've seen. The feed screw thrust collar seems to have been cut and moved further down the shaft to act as a journal and a thin metal shim was in place around the remaining portion of the collar acting as a bearing, and all located under the center support.

It did spin freely and stayed in place once I freed it up, so I suspect it may have worked.

Anyone care to comment? Have you seen this before?

Also, can someone please add a photo of the correct thrust collar for a Home A/B Conversion. I'd like to use the good parts of this to convert a B machine that I have so I'll need the correct collar.

Thanks!
Phil
Jerry B Salvage Operation 1.JPG
Jerry B Salvage Operation 4.jpg
Jerry B Salvage Operation 5.jpg
Jerry B Salvage Operation 6.jpg

fourbaers
Victor O

Re: Homemade Model B to D Conversion?

Post by fourbaers »

I've seen this on at least a couple of Spring Motors and can remember seeing a nice nickel plated Triumph B that had been converted. I know of an Ideal or Idelia as well. Must have been a fairly common practice by dealers. I'll see if I can find some pictures to share.

Terry Baer
St. Louis