Herzog full barrel restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Herzog full barrel restoration

Post by dzavracky »

I am very please to announce that I picked up the herzog cabinet today. It was well worth the exhausting 7 hours drive.

It is in pretty rough shape :(. So any advice on how to go about restoring this would be awesome. Here’s a bunch of pictures
I can confirm that this is an oak cabinet, not mahogany

Also only one door opens at the moment.

My restored Edison home looks so good on it :o

EDIT: on the picture where I asked about the cause of the door not opening. I’m referencing the stuff between the cabinet and the door
Attachments
image.jpg
Broken top pt.1
Broken top pt.1
Broken top pt.2
Broken top pt.2
These screws aren’t original? I believe they are holding the shelf up
These screws aren’t original? I believe they are holding the shelf up
Missing part of the ornate carving where the handle attaches
Missing part of the ornate carving where the handle attaches
The smaller piece the original shelf?
The smaller piece the original shelf?
Possible cause Of the door not opening?
Possible cause Of the door not opening?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Herzog full barrel restoration

Post by Mormon S »

As I've said already, I really happy you got it, it's really the top of the line and seldomly ever found let alone in "the wild".

There will be a huge difference just after stripping it. I would try to avoid sanding if you can and stick to steel wool and paint stripper, then follow that up with denatured alchohol. As for the top, it will have to be removed and reglued with clamps. The woodworkers here will have more advice to give since it looks quite warped. This would really benefit from black grain filler in my opinion, it will eliminate the grain divots in the finish and make the grain really pop.

I'm sure somebody here will be able to send pictures of the shelves with measurements, then I could turn it into a CAD file and cut them out with a CNC machine. I cant wait to visit to see this thing and help out :D

Martin

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Awesome! Happy for you.

Well, now to the work. You really don't know what you've got till you get that awful paint off of it.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

By the way that horn on the Edison Home is pretty great. You don't often see them in that bright color--was that a repaint job of yours or did you find another horn?

The Herzog is going to be a ton of work but I am glad you got it.

Bet the screws are holding that door closed? Depends on what's behind them. Glad to see it's going to a good place & won't be another plant stand. Wonder if this is oak or mahogany?

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Thanks for the replies

I just primed the horn, and I am deciding whether or not to do flowers or stripes on it. I kinda like the white tho, so I may paint it white and do gold stripes.

I won't be able to start working on this for a few weeks. I am taking two pretty hard classes this summer :cry: .

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the column off the front?

ALSO I apologize for the pictures going every which way. I made the post with my phone and they are all straight on my phone! IDK why It's different here

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Good luck on this project! Be careful what you wish for.

It appears to be oak from the grain visible in the image that shows the bottom of the front pillar.

I am attaching almost everything you will need to know. I had found the original patent on these magnificent cabinets. There are no dimensions but you will be able to inventory all your needs and hopefully a fellow collector nearby will have one you can go observe and measure.

John

https://patents.google.com/patent/US846848
Horns rolled and straightened

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Is that the one that originally had that marble top? If so I am glad that it worked out in the end. I wonder what they painted it with as it looks like red fence paint! :o
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Yes this is the one with the marble top! Thankfully is was just sitting on the top and not glued down

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

Wow!! Congrats on getting this. You are lucky to get one AT ALL, in whatever condition!! I’m sure you will get it looking great!!

Mike

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Ripduf1 wrote:Good luck on this project! Be careful what you wish for.

It appears to be oak from the grain visible in the image that shows the bottom of the front pillar.

I am attaching almost everything you will need to know. I had found the original patent on these magnificent cabinets. There are no dimensions but you will be able to inventory all your needs and hopefully a fellow collector nearby will have one you can go observe and measure.

John

https://patents.google.com/patent/US846848
Thank you for this. An interesting read.

Are there any collectors near Knoxville Tn that has one of these cabinets? I’d love to come see it and take some measurements