Post by dzavracky »

Thank you Bill!

Sending a pm

StL Bill
Victor I

Re: Herzog full barrel restoration

Post by StL Bill »

dzavracky wrote:Thanks for the replies

I just primed the horn, and I am deciding whether or not to do flowers or stripes on it. I kinda like the white tho, so I may paint it white and do gold stripes.

I won't be able to start working on this for a few weeks. I am taking two pretty hard classes this summer :cry: .

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the column off the front?

ALSO I apologize for the pictures going every which way. I made the post with my phone and they are all straight on my phone! IDK why It's different here
The front column has a wood dowel at both the top and bottom that is inserted and glued into the top board and the bottom board. You will have to get the top of the column loosened to take the top board off to repair both the top board and the veneer.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Hopefully, the cabinet is assembled with hide glue, in which case you can heat the joints to melt the glue for disassembly...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

That mechanism to open both doors at the same time is very simple but at the same time very clever.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

StL Bill wrote:
dzavracky wrote:Thanks for the replies

I just primed the horn, and I am deciding whether or not to do flowers or stripes on it. I kinda like the white tho, so I may paint it white and do gold stripes.

I won't be able to start working on this for a few weeks. I am taking two pretty hard classes this summer :cry: .

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the column off the front?

ALSO I apologize for the pictures going every which way. I made the post with my phone and they are all straight on my phone! IDK why It's different here
The front column has a wood dowel at both the top and bottom that is inserted and glued into the top board and the bottom board. You will have to get the top of the column loosened to take the top board off to repair both the top board and the veneer.

Thank you for telling me that. Ill be extra careful getting it apart

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Bill's use of Victrola lid lifts was an excellent idea... they are perfect for the linkage that attaches to the doors.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.52.37 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The next thing you need is an original door latch... does anyone have a picture of one?

My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

I will be starting the restoration this Friday afternoon!

I have a 2 part question though: how do the doors come off the cabinet? Or is this necessary? I noticed two holes in the door for a screw to go in, but only one door has one

Whoever painted this cabinet did a really good job :lol: ... cause there isn’t a an inch without paint

Thanks

David

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

dzavracky wrote:I will be starting the restoration this Friday afternoon!

I have a 2 part question though: how do the doors come off the cabinet? Or is this necessary? I noticed two holes in the door for a screw to go in, but only one door has one

Whoever painted this cabinet did a really good job :lol: ... cause there isn’t a an inch without paint

Thanks

David
Yes, if you are going to restore this correctly you should take both doors off. The doors are held in place by steel pins that are in the top and the bottom of the column on the door. The top pin stays in the column, but the bottom pin is longer and inserted through the ball foot underneath the door and into the door column. The screw that you see in the hole in the bottom of the door column keeps the pin from falling out. Remove the screw and try to work the pin down until you can pull it out from the ball foot. It is easier if you lay the cabinet on it's back to do this. After you have the long bottom pin out, move the bottom of the door out and the door will come off with the top pin still in it. It is these two pins that allow the door to swing open and closed. Good luck with your restoration.

Bill

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

StL Bill wrote:
dzavracky wrote:I will be starting the restoration this Friday afternoon!

Thanks

David
Yes, if you are going to restore this correctly you should take both doors off. The doors are held in place by steel pins that are in the top and the bottom of the column on the door. The top pin stays in the column, but the bottom pin is longer and inserted through the ball foot underneath the door and into the door column. The screw that you see in the hole in the bottom of the door column keeps the pin from falling out. Remove the screw and try to work the pin down until you can pull it out from the ball foot. It is easier if you lay the cabinet on it's back to do this. After you have the long bottom pin out, move the bottom of the door out and the door will come off with the top pin still in it. It is these two pins that allow the door to swing open and closed. Good luck with your restoration.

Bill

Thank you Bill

The cabinet is actually missing the feet :? .... I'll be real careful pulling the pins out of the doors! Also how does the key mechanism come out of the right door?

Can you send me some measurements of the feet on yours so I can make new ones on the lathe?