Newbie with Columbia D-2

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Harbison
Victor Jr

Newbie with Columbia D-2

Post by Harbison »

Just picked up a D-2 at a flea market for $20. It's actually in pretty good condition. The tone arm has been repaired. I need advice on cleaning the case. I don't want to do too much to it. I'm not interested in refinishing it. I would like to leave the original finish. The other problem is the motor needs to be serviced. It will spin but usually takes a little help to get started. The screws to the lid prop are missing. Overall I think it's pretty good, especially for the price.

Appreciate your advice and experience.

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Newbie with Columbia D-2

Post by Dave D »

A lot of people use GoJo waterless hand cleaner (without pumice) to clean cabinets. Just keep doing it until the rags come up clean.
Dave D

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Can you post some pictures of it?

Mpellicano
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Winding in West Florida

Post by Mpellicano »

I use waterless hand cleaner, no pumice, and 0000 steel wool. Medium pressure, be careful not to cut the corners, edges, or high spots. Use a good amount of cleaner; this cleans and lubricates the steel wool. Wipe cleaner off with a damp micro fiber or terry cloth towel, rinse and repeat until the water runs clear when the towel is rung out. Dry with clean micro/terry towel. I use boiled linseed oil to return the much needed moisture to the cabinet. This will reveal the grain and give it a nice sheen. Usa a fair amount, wipe off in the morning. I would do this three days in a row. Then, wait a week, and use Liquid Gold Furniture Polish. I have done many, many cabinets this way. Be careful with the sound louvers, they will crack easily. Pictures show results of a Victor cabinet I did yesterday.
Attachments
DSCN7183.JPG
DSCN7172.JPG