Support Arms for Columbia AH Graphophones

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SydneyAde
Victor I

Support Arms for Columbia AH Graphophones

Post by SydneyAde »

Hello

I'm very mindful I haven't contributed a great deal to this forum, but would appreciate some further assistance

It's been a while since I asked a question, though as I'm still working towards obtaining all parts for my fancy case, centre crank AH graphophone I would like to get this right to avoid any unnecessary expense.

Adam, the guy with the basket case Columbia graphophone has provided,through his posts, a great deal of useful information, together with contributions made by helpful members of this forum. I'm very grateful for this information.

On page 2 of Adam's thread are two diagrams that set out the dimensions of the support arm and traveling arm. It appears to me that the horozintal length from the case to the centre of the pivot hole on the support arm was calculated to be approximately 9.17".

Today, a support arm sold on Ebay, for a tidy sum. I had emailed the seller to obtain the mounted horozintal length, and he informed me it was 8.5".

I have some questions.

1. Can I be reasonably certain the arm that sold on ebay this evening (your time) was not and AH arm, but perhaps a support arm for either an AJ or AK to take a larger horn?

2. The arm which sold this evening had Columbia embossed on it, so could I guess and say the traveling arm would have had no design, but either plain aluminum or wood?

3. I do have an approx 9.17" support arm (fractured and glued together) that I purchased on Ebay and it seems to align with Adam's dimensions. It does not have Columbia embossed on it.

4. I also have a repro 14" traveling arm, again aligning with Adam's post and with Columbia embossed on it.

5. Could I reasonably surmise that most AH Graphophones only had the the 9.17" support arm (just arabesque design, without Columbia embossed) and a 14" traveling arm had the word Columbia embossed?

Thanks in advance Regards
Adrian (Ade)