Greg Bogantz

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Greg Bogantz

Post by phonosandradios »

I came across the sad news today that TMF member Greg Bogantz died on 2nd April this year. Although he hadn't posted on the forum recently he did so frequently in the past and made many fantastic contributions to discussions here. He was very knowledgeable on recording techniques and also developed a treated cardboard diaphragm for edison reproducers. He also had a big interest in novel record changers which he and I discussed by email many times over the years. During his career with RCA he had a big hand in the development of quadraphonic sound on disk. He was always generous with his time and support and he will be greatly missed by many.

https://www.wappner.com/obituary/gregory-alan-bogantz/

Gregory "Greg" Alan Bogantz
February 8, 1947 - April 2, 2020
Following a months-long battle with pain and cancer, Gregory Alan Bogantz, age 73, of Fairview, North Carolina, passed away in the comfort care of the Keever Solace Center in Asheville, North Carolina, on Thursday, April 2, 2020.

Born February 8, 1947, in Mansfield, Ohio, to George and Margaret (Gages) Bogantz, Greg lived and was schooled in the area, graduating in 1965 from Ontario High School. After earning a Master Degree in Electrical Engineering from Purdue University, Greg worked for RCA in Indianapolis, IN, in the area he enjoyed most-the production of quality musical recording. Since his youth, including his first job at WVNO FM, Greg’s interest in recorded sound led him to help pioneer the development of quadraphonic technology and to pursue a vast collection of sound recording machines, including Edison phonographs and Victrolas which he restored to full working order. His past years of employment had relocated him to Asheville, NC, where he had worked at Sonopress/Avato Digital in CD/DVD production.

Equal to Greg’s love of music was his deep appreciation for the beauty of nature which he enjoyed seeing the best from his motorcycle as he visited New England, the Great Smoky Mountains, and other scenic destinations. At home, in his beloved North Carolina mountain setting, he carefully kept flowerbeds on his wooded lot filled with his favorite blooms.

He is survived by his brother, Gilbert (Melanie) Bogantz and sister, Jane (Doyle) Peyton, both of Mansfield; five nieces and nephews; and twelve great-nieces and nephews. They will remember him as a loving, intelligent uncle who knew much about many subjects and who always encouraged their own creativity and accomplishments. In addition to his parents, Greg was preceded in death by an infant niece.
Last edited by phonosandradios on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Greg Bogantz

Post by fran604g »

RIP Greg Bogantz. He showed us real insight to the topic of sound reproduction. My thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

That is very sad news indeed. RIP Greg!

Andreas

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Sad news - my condolences to his family and friends. Thanks for letting this forum know, as an infrequent poster myself, I sometimes worry important news like this may slip through the cracks.
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

He was one of those I had noticed not posting anymore. Looks like his last post was in 2015. I liked coming across a Greg Bogantz post, he was very knowledgable and about some really arcane stuff too.

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

This is a great loss to our hobby. Greg was the ultimate, final authority on anything relating to vinyl or digital recording. He could always be relied on to answer questions or settle disputes using his vast knowledge from a long career at RCA. People often asked Greg if he could write a book to pass on what he knew, but I can understand what a daunting task that would be. It would be nice if all of his long technically oriented posts on various forums could be gathered into an archive.

I was interested to read above that Greg had a Masters in Electrical Engineering from Purdue. That explains a lot.

Jim Nichol

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

That is sad news.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

Oh wow, RIP. Greg was that perfect combination of knowledgeable and approachable. He will definitely be sorely missed.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Beyond the previous posters' comments I can only add: Thank God for Greg and people like him. We've lost far too many of them lately.

Martin