Off Topic - Foster Player Piano

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PhonoCrazy
Victor Jr

Off Topic - Foster Player Piano

Post by PhonoCrazy »

I apologize in advance for the off topic post, but the player piano forum doesn't receive much traffic anymore and I'm looking for some help with my newest addition to the collection.

I just picked up this Foster and Co. player piano this past weekend in non working condition. I removed and patched a few holes in the main bellows as well as the motor bellows and oiled all the mechanism and it plays alright now. When I got it in though, I found three broken hoses in the bottom of the piano. I think I replaced two of them correctly (not 100% sure, Im kinda winging it! lol) and the third one I have no idea where it goes. Is anyone familiar with this kind of piano?

Thanks, Nick.

P.S. If anyone knows of a good way of patching bellows, I'm all ears because I'm still having leaks in the motor's bellows (I used cotton cloth and rubber cement).

The sixth photo shows the clear hose I replaced coming off a small bellow (to the left of the reservoir bellow).
The fifth photo is where I connected the hose from the first photo to.
The fourth photo shows the clear hose I replaced which is connected to a valve labeled as 'loud' on or off.
The third photo shows where I connect the hose from the third photo too (a button labeled 'loud').
The second photo shows the extra connection that I don't know where the hose would run to. When playing the piano, I can feel a suction being drawn in this connector.
Attachments
20200615_144941 (1).jpg
20200615_145034.jpg
20200615_145017.jpg
20200615_145010.jpg
20200615_145003.jpg
20200615_144957.jpg

outune
Victor IV

Re: Off Topic - Foster Player Piano

Post by outune »

PM sent-

Brad Abell

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

I think that's where the supply for your tracking unit plugs in. If memory serves, the tracker shuts off during rewind like the rest of the stack, and flat springs on the tracking unit center the two tracking pneumatics. Yours look to not be centered as rest, but they should be.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Is Player Piano Co. still in business? They had bellows cloth, motor cloth, pneumatic cloth, etc. of all kinds; I primarily used them for reed organ supplies.

-Bill

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

I just looked, Player Piano Co. is out of business. It closed in 2009. The building where they were is now loft apartments.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Try Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PNEUMATIC-BELL ... Swxq5dMnOj

I bought a rattle can of bellows treatment for sealing leaky player piano bellows many years ago. It was a rubber like liquid that dried to a flexible seal. Sorry, but I can't remember the brand or the source.