Early Silvertone table model, governor bearing adjustment

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Thatphonographguy
Victor O
Personal Text: Edison is still a better inventor than Tesla

Early Silvertone table model, governor bearing adjustment

Post by Thatphonographguy »

Hello all. I've had an early Silvertone table model for years. Had a broken spring in it. I just recently got around to repairing the spring. Just like my VV-XVI, it simultaneously runs down when it wants. I completely went through everything when fixing the spring, cleaning every single part. It has a pillar and plate motor, unknown manufacturer. I know the spring and other gears are fine. The spindle gear that the governor turns is steel with fiber teeth. The governor bearings, or business rather, have offset holes in them where the pins on each end of the governor ride. I've never seen bushings with offset holes like that, only with the holes in the very center but I'm used to Victor machines mainly. They are apparently there for adjustment adjustment. I believe I don't have them adjusted properly, and I didn't pay attention to them when removing, as I did not expect those offset holes. Does anyone have experience with bushings/bearings like these? If so, what would relatively proper adjustment look like? I figured that this would be the best place to ask if there ever was one. Thank you.

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Early Silvertone table model, governor bearing adjustmen

Post by Dave D »

I make this adjustment without the spring barrels in place. Adjust the bearings so that the spindle shaft gear and the governor are meshing and spin properly. There is a section about this in The Compleat Talking Machine.
Dave D

Thatphonographguy
Victor O

And what should that look like properly meshed? Also, that's one book I don't have yet.

Thatphonographguy
Victor O

Also, should both bearings be in the same position when properly adjusted?