Modernola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
collector52
Victor Jr

Modernola

Post by collector52 »

Hello All-

This is my first attempt at posting anything on this site. I hope my question shows up as intended and all of this makes sense to someone out there.

I've been a collector since the early 70's but always just a hobby and never approaching anything super serious. Now that I'm retired I have more time to devote to catching up on some projects and 'beating the bushes' for additions to my collection. Somehow during all of these years the Forum site has escaped me and I am just now familiarizing myself to it.

I went and looked at a Modernola today. I am not all that familiar with the original parts and pieces of the phonograph which-unfortunately-is all that is available. All of the lamp parts are long gone. I have attached two pictures of the tone arm and the reproducer. Can someone out there please tell me if they are original to the machine? I have seen Modernola reproducers with 'Modernola' on them but don't know if they offered others with just decoration as shown. I am a little wary due to the fact that there are a few misc. screw holes where the tone arm attaches to the cabinet and I don't know if either the tone arm or the reproducer are original to the machine.

Anyway, after viewing the Forum for many weeks I'm sure I will get some excellent guidance. I look forward to any information I can get before making a decision on this machine.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Modernola2.jpg
Modernola2.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Modernola.jpg
Modernola.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 2488 times

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Modernola

Post by Jerry B. »

That's the same tone arm that I have on my machine. The major cost in the restoration would be the frame and covering for the lamp shade. The turned piece of wood with a hole down the center for wires would be fairly simple and you'd need the hardware for the lamps. Depending on the price, it would make a good project and a wonderful addition to most collections. A Modernola is a quirky and interesting machine. You might be able to find an old shade that fit your needs. Welcome to the Forum and I hope the Modernola project is one you tackle and enjoy. If so, take some as found and progress photos.

Jerry Blais

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Welcome to the forum...

The two pictures you attached are somewhat concerning because the tonearm and motorboard are fastened down with Phillips screws, which are red flags that indicate that someone with little knowledge has screwed (no pun intended) around with this machine. I think I see a screw hole near the tonearm cabinet mount that doesn't match the hole pattern on the tonearm that is installed, but the pictures are not detailed enough to zoom in. I am attaching a pic of a Modernola with the correct tonearm/reproducer combo and am fairly certain that the one on this machine has been replaced. With this much modification, you may not have the original motor, turntable, crank, etc.

The Modernola is a desirable machine, but since it was made specifically to be a lamp phonograph and that part is missing, I would probably pass on it... It might be able to be restored, although there are no pictures that show the condition of the cabinet, which would be helpful. Trying to find the original lamp parts and correct tonearm/reproducer to make it complete is a crap shoot, since it is an uncommon machine and loose parts are a needle in a haystack type of search. If you want something to restore, a Victrola would be a better choice, since there are plenty of replacement parts available... Just my opinion for what it's worth...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.41.13 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

After reading Jerry's comments, I looked for more pics on the internet and found one with the same tonearm as yours and Jerry's, so they may have used several different ones during different periods of production. Since I don't have one to compare, Jerry might be able to provide you with pictures of the lamp base and shade. If the cabinet is complete and in good condition, it may not be a difficult restoration after all...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.59.17 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Here is a pic of the lamp portion of the machine. As Jerry pointed out, it doesn't look that hard to make...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.15.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 9.15.48 PM.png (234.95 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

My Wife

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Hello and Welcome!

We have two Modernolas. One in mahogany and one in walnut. Both of them were project machines and each presented its own challenges. Here is what we know (from our personal experience):

Modernola was made with or without the lamp attachment. The novelty of this machine is definitely having the lamp. The lamp cluster is referred to as a Benjamin lamp cluster. We have had luck finding a nice replacement on e-bay. As Jerry mentioned, the custom lamp shade will be the expensive part. We recommend a shade that is about 22-24 inches in diameter.
benjamin lamp  cluster,pull chain.jpeg
benjamin lamp cluster,pull chain.jpeg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Typically, the motor and tone arm are Meisselbach products. This manufacturer supplied lots of "off-brand" makers with the mechanics. The good news is they are not that hard to find. The better news is, the one on your prospect machine seems correct. Curt is so right about the phillips-head screws, they have no place on a one-hundred year old phonograph--a definite sign that someone has tinkered with it.

The round shape of the body is all solid pieces of wood, made very much like a barrel. There should be shelves or a rack behind the doors. These are made for record filing drawers (Ready-File).

Some models came with casters, some with just metal bumpers. There are lots of variations on the decorative trim and onlays.

Since this company only produced machines for about three years, they are worth restoring and it is an attractive addition to your collection.

We would be happy to assist if you decide to get this machine.

All the best,
Ed and Nancy

collector52
Victor Jr

Post by collector52 »

As anticipated, this is just a wealth of information in just an hour or so. I appreciate it all, especially the visuals showing what I may be looking for if I go forward with the purchase.

The cabinet is complete with no chips or cracks and the finish is original and quite worn and crazed. Should I go forward with the purchase the restoration of the original finish would be a challenge. I would never refinish it as that is not my style. I like machines as original as they can be. Due to the finish it would never be "the" showpiece in my collection but a unique one for obvious reasons.

The current (and I believe) second owner did own up to changing out the original screws for whatever reason. Naturally I noticed the shiny phillips heads immediately and cringed. However, until I acquire it-if I do-it is what it is.

Thank you so much everyone for your response. I look forward to learning more through this site on various machines through all of the correspondence. Should I buy the Modernola I may post more pictures if I feel I need guidance in other areas of restoration.

Thanks again.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

You may be interested in seeing this image of the Weser Brothers Piano Co. showroom in NYC in April 1921. Gives a good idea what original shades looked like.
C59D6B0B-F9C9-4535-B0B2-8A3C040A053F.jpeg
C59D6B0B-F9C9-4535-B0B2-8A3C040A053F.jpeg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

John, Thanks for the great photo. Jerry

collector52
Victor Jr

Post by collector52 »

Just a wonderful picture John! Thanks so much!