Questions about a find: Columbia AB with accessories

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zenger
Victor I

Questions about a find: Columbia AB with accessories

Post by Zenger »

Greetings, everyone. This weekend I found an unusual (to me) phonograph in the wild. I don't know much about cylinder machines, and even less about Columbia cylinder machines, but while looking for an old radio I dug this out of a barn loft, along with two dozen (non-concert) cylinders in a case (6 or so are brown wax), and decided I had to have it. There's no model information on it anywhere, but when I got it home I looked it up in Hazelcorn and learned it was a model AB from around 1901. It appears to be complete and all original, and has a couple of unusual accessories. The fellow who sold it to me told me it had originally belonged to his great-grandparents, both doctors (very unusual in those days) in New York, and that it was the first "talking machine" anyone in the family had ever seen. It's also the first AB I have ever seen, though I don't know how uncommon they might be. (I have come across many B's and Q's over the years, so I assume they're somewhat more common models than this one.)

I don't own any other machines that will play brown wax cylinders, so I am pretty pleased to have found this, and am looking forward to restoring it. The key winds smoothly, and though, at first, I thought everything was frozen, I gave the mandrel a little nudge and it started turning very nicely on its own. The belt appears to be brown leather with green stitching on it (see pics 5 & 6) -- a neat little detail; does anyone have a picture of one of these belts in nicer condition? The nickel plating looks pretty nice, though certainly far from perfect.

I have a number of questions about this machine, for anyone who knows more about it than I do (i.e. just about everyone):

1. I know this machine has a moveable mandrel rod (picture 8) to accommodate both the 2-inch and 5-inch mandrels, but there doesn't seem to be any notch or other indicator to tell you what the ideal positioning is for either mandrel. It spins freely when in (what I believe to be) the correct position for a 5-inch mandrel (i.e. up toward the center of the arc), but not so much when in (what appears to be) the correct position for a 2-inch mandrel (i.e. up toward the top of the arc). Any idea why this might be?

2. The lever that is supposed to raise and lower the reproducer onto the cylinder (picture 7) moves freely, and regulates whether or not the reproducer/horn carriage can slide left and right freely or not, but it does not raise or lower the reproducer at all. Is there something I should re-connect or adjust?

3. Hazelcorn says the AB originally came with a #4 reproducer, and that many owners later upgraded to a #5 when it became available, but it appears mine has a #2. (See pics 9 & 10.) Since no one has touched this machine in at least a century, I'm wondering if I'm identifying this reproducer correctly and, if I am, how it ended up on this machine. Is it possible it was original issued equipment?

4. In the same small generic (and newer) jewel box as the reproducer I found a Mobley reproducer attachment (picture 11), something else I had never seen before. Some research determined that this was a weight one could attach to a light reproducer to help the stylus make better contact with the grooves and thus produce better sound and greater volume. I have seen pictures of these attached to Edison Automatic reproducers, but never one attached to a Columbia floating reproducer. Would this have even worked with move reproducer? If so, how would one attach it? It does have a screw, as you can see, but I can't figure out how one might configure it. (On a side note, every Mobley attachment I've seen pictures of online is stamped "Pat. Dec. 31 1901," but mine, as you can see, is stamped "Pat. Apd. For," so I think it must be a little older.

5. In another, very small box, I found a Columbia recorder (pics 12 & 13). The box appears to be original (unlike the box the reproducer and Mobley were in), and I'm wondering if they were issued standard with every AB sold. Also, does it appear as if I could restore this one by reattaching the diaphragm and stylus? If so, any tips?

6. As you can see in pictures 1 & 15, I found this machine with its original A-1 aluminum horn, another first for me. It has its share of dings, which I will happily leave be, but I would like to clean it up some. Any tips for how to do so?

As always, thanks for your feedback and expertise!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

outune
Victor IV

Re: Questions about a find: Columbia AB with accessories

Post by outune »

Super nice find- Congrats!! The reproducer has the Mobley modification-- diaphragm and weight-- If you look at your "recorder", you'll see the the small fingers or fork near the collar. That is what is needed in order for the lever to lift the reproducer off the carriage. The AB uses a specific reproducer with those "forks".. Still, your reproducer is a gem! And the horn is in great condition--
Glad you dug it out!!

Brad Abell

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

I think I can answer your question about the Mobley weight. That particular one is designed to fit onto a #2 reproducer, which is the one you have. It fits on top and the screw tightens into the side to hold it firmly. That Mobley weight will not fit on any of the other reproducers that will fit the AB, and the #4 or #5 cannot easily hold a weight due to their design, hence the need for a #2. Cheers, Russie
Last edited by startgroove on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zenger
Victor I

Post by Zenger »

Thanks! Does that mean this isn't the right reproducer for this phonograph? Will it work anyway?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

It is not the original style reproducer, but it is compatible. Given that the #2 with Mobley weight was likely a post production upgrade, it seems to me that it would improve the value, and also improve performance. If you want to make the AB entirely original, you can always get a second reproducer, #4 or #5. Cheers, Russie

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Tremendous find! Congratulations!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Wow!! Great find. The Mobley weight is a rare accessory.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Mandrel shaft all the way up for standard cylinders; all the way down for Grand/Concert cylinders.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

2. The #2 reproducer you have won't work with the AB. The version you have is missing the lift fingers that the lift lever "T" on the carriage engages to raise & lower it on the record. There is a version of the #2 with the lift fingers, it was used on the first couple hundred production HG models (on #491 & #543, production appears to have begun at around #400).

I believe the Mobley went with a different machine, probably why it was in the box and not on the AB.

I think you should go back and search for the correct reproducer for the AB, might still be laying in a box of parts.

Chuck