Mikiphone directions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Operafan
Victor Jr

Mikiphone directions

Post by Operafan »

Can someone point me to an online manual for the Mikiphone (Swiss 1920s not the later Japanese copy), or suggest how I can get a hard copy printout (I don't need an original), in English, French or German? I'm afraid to open mine lest I fail to squeeze it back into the box!

Jeff

Operafan
Victor Jr

Re: Mikiphone directions

Post by Operafan »

To answer my own question, these are actually quite easy to operate (in spite of warnings about how hard it is to squeeze them back into their housing). As soon as I got my courage up to take it out of its case, it got working like a charm. Manual? We don't need no stinking manual!

Jeff

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

So I have mastered setting up and repacking the Mikiphone, now my problem is the sound.

I was not expecting this to sound like an orthophonic, but I can't imagine anything this lame ever sold well. Does anyone have any experience rebuilding Miki reproducers, and does this help? Nothing looks bad with mine, though I guess the rubber gasket could use replacing. Do the usual suspects handle rebuilding of these?

Jeff

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The soundbox should sound just as good as an Exhibition. The tin resonator did a pretty good job at amplifying the sound, BUT I wouldn't expect much more from it than you'd get from a Bing Kiddyphone or any of the small camera type machines.
Id try another soundbox you know performs well on the resonator, to see if there was any marked improvement in sound quality.
If not, there may be a problem with the resonator, or it just may be as good as it gets.
Those soundboxes are very basic, just like an Exhibition, and anyone should be able to easily rebuild it.