SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
soundgen
Victor V

Re: SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Post by soundgen »

Jerry B. wrote:Why wouldn't gold leaf have been used? Victor used gold leaf on this machine. Jerry Blais

Phew ! was it a one off ? I have read somewhere that Victor had a bespoke department that would make a gramophone ( sorry Victrola)to match your existing furniture whatever that was

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

was it a one off ?
I wish it was a "one off." But it's actually an entry level Vernis Martin. The special finished Vernis Martins were available on the XVI, XVII, XVIII and into the Period models. Normally they have classic styled painting inside the framed areas but this one was never embellished in this manner. Just curious, has anyone else seen another Vernis Martin without the artwork?

Thanks, Jerry

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

They belong to the museums in which they reside, which can do with them as they please.
Attachments
58B6DD76-15BA-473C-8C06-89AB1035244A.jpeg
28074583-1AA3-4518-A74B-4D044DD8B9A6.jpeg
3A874683-99C8-4ABF-B7E0-5D43173E2DF4.gif
3A874683-99C8-4ABF-B7E0-5D43173E2DF4.gif (122.92 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

I am not at all opposed to cosmetic restoration of phonographs--I have gladly purchased a few well restored machines through my years as a collector. I have been among those posting positive comments to Forum members who have done meticulous restorations, especially for machines that were 'brought back from the dead'. I do regret re-hashing my point for those who already understand--gold leaf is a very specific material with a specific look which was never applied to VV-XX's as they left the Victor factory. Therefore, applying gold leaf to a VV-XX now is NOT a restoration and should not be billed as such. And yes-Victor's Vernis Martin's did have gold leaf.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

So did Victor apply gold paint to a good number of Victrola XXs in the factory?

Thanks, Jerry

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Some kind of non-opaque gold pigment.

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Raphael-I am not taking issue with your general business practices-which based on my past experience has been quite good. I am taking issue with putting gold leaf on VV-XX trim. I have only done so since you have put this issue up on the Forum for discussion.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Victor VII wrote:I am not at all opposed to cosmetic restoration of phonographs--I have gladly purchased a few well restored machines through my years as a collector. I have been among those posting positive comments to Forum members who have done meticulous restorations, especially for machines that were 'brought back from the dead'. I do regret re-hashing my point for those who already understand--gold leaf is a very specific material with a specific look which was never applied to VV-XX's as they left the Victor factory. Therefore, applying gold leaf to a VV-XX now is NOT a restoration and should not be billed as such. And yes-Victor's Vernis Martin's did have gold leaf.
Where can the definitive back- up evidence for this be found? Also for the Vic VI. Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek