SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FellowCollector
Victor IV

SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Post by FellowCollector »

Victor Victrola VV-XX VTLA. Top of the line, very early, very short production life. Completely original, overall nice original condition, complete with all of its original record boxes, working and plays fantastic. One small edge veneer chip on top. Price is firm. Pick up in northeast NY State. Specific details can be discussed via PM or email. Cash at pick up or PayPal "Friends" payment only. No incremental payments please. PM with interest. Thanks.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_6415.JPG
IMG_6417.JPG
IMG_6412.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6413.JPG
IMG_6418.JPG
IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6420.JPG
IMG_6423.JPG
Last edited by FellowCollector on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: FOR SALE: Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500

Post by alang »

Wow, what a beauty!

Andreas

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

:shock: Words cant even describe the beauty of that!

Victor VII
Victor I

Post by Victor VII »

Now THAT'S the way they should all look! Rare opportunity for a sophisticated collector!

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500

Post by Raphael »

I bought this from Doug, one of the nicest members of this Forum. When it arrived here I decided to spruce it up, so it would fit in with the rest of the antiques that decorate our house. My wife and I believe that "originality" need not include chips, scrapes, fading, and other signs of wear and tear. That, of course is a matter for endless discussion among collectors, and to me, it's like brussels sprouts: some people love 'em, some hate 'em, and one side will never convince the other.

I gave strict instructions to my restoration shop not to strip the finish; a light wet sanding, repairs as necessary, and to try to make the outside finish comparable to the insides (which was not touched). They also applied new gold leaf and toned it down to an antique patina.

It's now back home and, in my opinion, looking damn good. Mack, my retstorer, is going to return next week to tone down the gold leaf on another XX that I have.

Raphael
Attachments
608-1.JPG
608-2.JPG
608-3.JPG

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Hey Raphael, I'm conflicted!

It's like two halves of a TWIX, It looks Great Either Way!

Cheers, Bob S.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Bob,

I had to Google TWIX to figure out wtf you were talking about.

Raphael

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

I Much prefer the unrestored look on this model of machine.

D.Edwards

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

ColoradoPhonograf wrote:I Much prefer the unrestored look on this model of machine.

D.Edwards
The purpose of my posting was basically to solicit comments such as yours to try to understand both sides of the issue. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I would just like to know why. From my viewpoint there are several factors that come into play:

1. Stuff didn't come from the factory with patina, blemishes, etc. These were added later.

2. People who decorate their homes with antiques usually want them in the finest of condition. I personally have a multitude of clocks, music boxes, nautical artifacts, automatae and general furnishings. Everything mixes together and one piece compliments another.

3. When one attends car shows, clock shows, fine furniture exhibitions, etc., usually the items on display are restored. Certain clocks that I own and deal in are known as French Industrials. They sell (unrestored) from anywhere from $6k - $40k. Usually their value increases 300% (or more) after restoration.

Also, having some experience selling these XX's, every one of the four I've sold far has been fully restored and have ended up with very happy new owners. The previous owner of this XX offered it for sale repeatedly at a very good price and it went nowhere until I stepped in.

I'm interested in hearing the reasoning behind your point of view.

Raphael

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I prefer the original look. I have recently picked up a second XX that has been partially stripped. Down to the bare wood in most places. Except for the doors. Because the doors are not stripped it is clear this machine never had any gold decorations. Now I can have one with and one without. This machine a prime example to spruce up. Actually it will need more than that. If you want the honest opinion, the one above reminds me of a 60 year old guy with gray hair that dyes it black. No warmth of the original. The little imperfections may be there just covered up in shoe black. Just looks wrong. Looking at a half dozen XX's over the years, none I've seen ever had actual gold leaf. They had gold powdered paint. Looks much more subtle and tasteful. The bright XX's to me look like they belong on Pennsylvania Ave in Baltimore.