The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:37 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Keep'em well oiled
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 am
Posts: 1076
Location: Madrid, Spain
Seriously... Nobody has thought about downloading and preserving the videos made by that man, so to avoid YT closing that account, before they go away, lost forever? Some of these days... You'll miss me, honey...
Inigo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3497
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
Inigo wrote:
Seriously... Nobody has thought about downloading and preserving the videos made by that man, so to avoid YT closing that account, before they go away, lost forever? Some of these days... You'll miss me, honey...


Like their creator, they are best forgotten. Let YouTube consign them to oblivion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:52 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm
Posts: 554
epigramophone wrote:

Like their creator, they are best forgotten. Let YouTube consign them to oblivion.



I couldn't agree more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:15 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
    Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm
Posts: 635
Why? Is there some bad history with the channel owners that I'm unaware of?

Martin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
Victor V
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 2216
Location: South Carolina
(flame suit on & zipped)

The "Colonel" seemed to be a guy who had a lot of social problems--but let's not let the good he did, sharing his music collection with us all, go forgotten.

I personally suspect he may have had some mental troubles. This doesn't make him any less of a human being, and honestly, looking at the comments under the videos, a lot of people really enjoyed his whimsical take on things. No, nobody believed a word of this guy's stuff about living at the Grange and being the Colonel. To me he was a Dickensian supporting character translated into the world of Evelyn Waugh. Of course much of this was made up, but maybe he had a better appreciation of the adventure of day to day.

The videos of him out on his bicycle, wearing that same old unwashed coat all the time, make me suspect he may have been on the autism spectrum. Stilted speech, a desire for sameness in dress, a focused and unrestrained fascination with some specific area of interest, and frequently poor hygiene may be signs of high-functioning autism or other psychological disorders. I hear he was terrible with social stuff--attacked a bunch of people verbally for whatever. His insistence on routine, reluctance to show his face, and other things all could be just him being a jerk, or him dealing with mental stuff. Honestly, reading the blogs that people put up against him, I don't think the CLPGS is as stellar as they think they are either, considering the accusations people made against him too.

The "Colonel" tended to be a troll. Something was wrong there in his life. But maybe let's not let his personal awfulness overshadow some of the good things he brought. There is no place for "cancel culture" in phonograph and record collecting--but there's room for mercy and charity. And the definition of mercy is that it is undeserved.

(Edit, because I prefer to write in drafts, not in single posts)

I do not believe that the sorts of things he was accused of (harassing people, etc) are worth forgetting--but at the same time we should not destroy the memory of his better actions just to obliterate the bad. He doubtless hurt a great number of people and divided English phonograph collecting. But what would be better is if we could find a way to separate the Sturm und Drang from the actually harmless stuff. As I don't know the guy I can't tell how much was good and how much was bad. But before I heard about any of the controversy in the CLPGS I did enjoy listening to his record videos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:10 pm 
Offline
Victor V
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 2450
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
(flame suit on & zipped)

The "Colonel" seemed to be a guy who had a lot of social problems--but let's not let the good he did, sharing his music collection with us all, go forgotten.

I personally suspect he may have had some mental troubles. This doesn't make him any less of a human being, and honestly, looking at the comments under the videos, a lot of people really enjoyed his whimsical take on things. No, nobody believed a word of this guy's stuff about living at the Grange and being the Colonel. To me he was a Dickensian supporting character translated into the world of Evelyn Waugh. Of course much of this was made up, but maybe he had a better appreciation of the adventure of day to day.

The videos of him out on his bicycle, wearing that same old unwashed coat all the time, make me suspect he may have been on the autism spectrum. Stilted speech, a desire for sameness in dress, a focused and unrestrained fascination with some specific area of interest, and frequently poor hygiene may be signs of high-functioning autism or other psychological disorders. I hear he was terrible with social stuff--attacked a bunch of people verbally for whatever. His insistence on routine, reluctance to show his face, and other things all could be just him being a jerk, or him dealing with mental stuff. Honestly, reading the blogs that people put up against him, I don't think the CLPGS is as stellar as they think they are either, considering the accusations people made against him too.

The "Colonel" tended to be a troll. Something was wrong there in his life. But maybe let's not let his personal awfulness overshadow some of the good things he brought. There is no place for "cancel culture" in phonograph and record collecting--but there's room for mercy and charity. And the definition of mercy is that it is undeserved.

(Edit, because I prefer to write in drafts, not in single posts)

I do not believe that the sorts of things he was accused of (harassing people, etc) are worth forgetting--but at the same time we should not destroy the memory of his better actions just to obliterate the bad. He doubtless hurt a great number of people and divided English phonograph collecting. But what would be better is if we could find a way to separate the Sturm und Drang from the actually harmless stuff. As I don't know the guy I can't tell how much was good and how much was bad. But before I heard about any of the controversy in the CLPGS I did enjoy listening to his record videos.

https://stephenpeppiatt.blogspot.com/20 ... troll.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:19 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Guisborough Yorks
As someone who was targetted by Mr. Peppiat for simply being a member of the CLPGS, (Old CLPGS fart being one of the more polite terms) I would rather his memory was quietly put to rest.
Other TMF forum members were insulted to the point where court orders were taken out to stop him.
Various websites he set up were closed down due to his obnoxious,libelous comments.
His name, and any reference to him,was banned on this site.
My opinion is that he should be left in peace.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:49 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Keep'em well oiled
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 am
Posts: 1076
Location: Madrid, Spain
But think of future generations of collectors... ! We, among us the offended ones, will be out of this world in some years, and his magnificent collection of videos with original machines, experiments, records and fun... will be lost if we don't pass them along.
(And still I believe we'll have to meet him later at That Place, for God's Mercy!)
I particularly an a member of clpgs, so I'm also insulted... But having not suffered his direct attacks, I am free to enjoy a lot his videos... As many millions are!
I will try to do it myself if I can manage how to download all his stuff before it's too late.. Sorry! :oops:
Inigo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
So many audio formats, so little listening time!
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Can I ask why you think it is about to disappear? I watch other you tube channels where the channel owner has been dead for years - yet it still lives on. I can't believe that this channel won't do the same or do you tube have a cut off point if no new content is posted?
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: EMG Colonel YT videos
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 pm 
Online
Victor IV
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 am
Posts: 1193
Location: Luxembourg
phonosandradios wrote:
Can I ask why you think it is about to disappear? I watch other you tube channels where the channel owner has been dead for years - yet it still lives on. I can't believe that this channel won't do the same or do you tube have a cut off point if no new content is posted?


I think you are correct, as long as there is people watching the videos, the channel is kept active. There is the example of grambar, with videos from the deceased collector Graham. His web site was shut down, but the many you tube videos he posted remain active.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Shawn and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.