Brunswick Upright Finish Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Brunswick Upright Finish Question

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all,

I’m looking into an Upright Brunswick Double Ultona which I am unsure of the finish. It looks really nice, but it does look like it’s been refinished. What do you all think?
F87C0FDA-4275-4114-B6A6-881D723B7B4C.jpeg
20722736-997D-4422-A727-405822FB7F0C.jpeg

Victor VI

Re: Brunswick Upright Finish Question

Post by 52089 »

I personally think the missing legs are a bigger problem than the finish...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The finish on the outside of the cabinet should be very similar to what's under the lid with minor differences due to UV light, etc. The outside of this case has been refinished. I'm also a little concerned about the legs or lack of legs. Maybe casters would make a difference but the attractive trim, front and center, is really close to the floor. Why? Unless this is a family piece with sentimental value, I'd probably pass. Others?

Jerry Blais

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Jerry B. wrote:The finish on the outside of the cabinet should be very similar to what's under the lid with minor differences due to UV light, etc. The outside of this case has been refinished. I'm also a little concerned about the legs or lack of legs. Maybe casters would make a difference but the attractive trim, front and center, is really close to the floor. Why? Unless this is a family piece with sentimental value, I'd probably pass. Others?

Jerry Blais
52089 wrote:I personally think the missing legs are a bigger problem than the finish...
Thank you both for your input. I had noticed the legs, but somehow when I looked closer I thought they looked ok. I think I will pass on it. It’s a cool looking phonograph, but with the issues noted, I don’t want to take a chance.

Thank you again.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

That Brunswick has definitely been amputated. The legs should look something like this:
Attachments
brunswick.jpg
brunswick.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 920 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Aaaaargh! Tha plant pot on the top! I HATE that. They always leave markings. At home it is FORBIDDEN to put anything on top of gramophnes... :x
Inigo

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

In my years of "on and off again" collecting...., I have noticed several uprights where the legs have been shortened. Why is that? I always suspected one or more legs suffered moisture damage (rot, etc.) and the owners at the time got creative...