EMG

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
William Weber
Victor Jr

EMG

Post by William Weber »

I have an oak wind-up EMG Expert Junior. It also has a matching table which was quite obviously made for it as it fits exactly into the recess on the table's top. The horn is in mint condition as is all the woodwork. It works perfectly. Can anyone tell me how much it is worth? I bought it years and years ago in the Portobello Road in London where I used to live. I now live in Portugal. Having stumbled across this site it seems to me it may be rather more valuable than I had supposed. I think it cost about £200 in about 1985. I wish I could find someone to "Tune" its soundbox. Has anyone any ideas? Thank you, William Weber.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: EMG

Post by Jerry B. »

Photos please

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Hello William hope you are well ! It's worth between £2,500 and £4,500 check out this recent link on the same subject ! Regards Mike

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46231&p=273431&hil ... ue#p273431

I can service your soundbox if you ever visit the UK

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

They are short on looks but make up for it in the sound quality department

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

PM sent

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

William, welcome to the forum from another Expert Junior owner! How exciting - several have surfaced in recent months. I agree with the value range soundgen indicated. In the condition you describe, your Junior ought to be worth £3500 or more. Value will depend partly on which soundbox it has (2-spring or 4-spring, assuming it has an Expert soundbox).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

William Weber
Victor Jr

Post by William Weber »

Jerry B. wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:30 am Photos please
Sorry not to have replied before to your request for photographs. I will try to work out how to do some; not awfully good with computers I fear! W

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

A "Junior" is going to be worth £3,500 to £4,000 today with an Expert soundbox and spring motor. A "Senior" is going to be between £5,000 and £7,500 depending on the type ie. Table or pedestal / spring driven v electric motor.

I personally prefer the two spring soundbox as its less cumbersome, more flexible with all types of music / needles and omits the two cross springs which I'm not convinced add a lot to the mix.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

A "Junior" is going to be worth £3,500 to £4,000 today with an Expert soundbox and spring motor. A "Senior" is going to be between £5,000 and £7,500 depending on the type ie. Table or pedestal / spring driven v electric motor.

I personally prefer the two spring soundbox as its less cumbersome, more flexible with all types of music / needles and omits the two cross springs which I'm not convinced add a lot to the mix.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Where are you located? I am near Chicago - I have two EMG gramophones, and have rebuilt a number of soundboxes.
William Weber wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:21 am I have an oak wind-up EMG Expert Junior. It also has a matching table which was quite obviously made for it as it fits exactly into the recess on the table's top. The horn is in mint condition as is all the woodwork. It works perfectly. Can anyone tell me how much it is worth? I bought it years and years ago in the Portobello Road in London where I used to live. I now live in Portugal. Having stumbled across this site it seems to me it may be rather more valuable than I had supposed. I think it cost about £200 in about 1985. I wish I could find someone to "Tune" its soundbox. Has anyone any ideas? Thank you, William Weber.