VERY good deal near Seattle

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Re: VERY good deal near Seattle

Post by recordo »

Here are the pictures of the machine in the Craigslist ad. I wish the ads didn't disappear so quickly!

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

If I wasn't on the wrong coast..!

It might not be a Credenza, but at that price, who cares??
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

out of curiosity, why a monarch? because it's an early model? I used to have one and remember only that the motor was pretty loud, and was only two springs (in that sense, I think the III is a much better performer)... now a monarch special or a victor V with an oak horn AND the three-spring motor, that would be worth stumbling across.
I'd settle for a III! I site the Monarch just of the topp of my head, and because they were so splendid looking. What I really want is an exterior horn machine with the best possible sound. There's one on cg in Seattle right now - but I'm still in the north woods...

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Nat wrote:
out of curiosity, why a monarch? because it's an early model? I used to have one and remember only that the motor was pretty loud, and was only two springs (in that sense, I think the III is a much better performer)... now a monarch special or a victor V with an oak horn AND the three-spring motor, that would be worth stumbling across.
I'd settle for a III! I site the Monarch just of the topp of my head, and because they were so splendid looking. What I really want is an exterior horn machine with the best possible sound. There's one on cg in Seattle right now - but I'm still in the north woods...
Then you would want an Expert Xb (Oversize), wouldn't you? ;)

Perhaps an HMV model 32 or a Dum Dum built Model 35?

Unfortunately, these splendid machines don't look like a stereotypical gramophone. Some might say that they were downright ugly.