Victor "Humpback" - is it an E, or a V 2, or a II?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Victor "Humpback" - is it an E, or a V 2, or a II?

Post by PeterF »

Recently I found a partially complete small backmount Victor, missing its tonearm and horn. but with a u-tube and roundhole Vic Exhibition. Looking at it, and with no books at hand, I thought backmount E, or Victor II.

But the ID plate's Type field is stamped "V 2" and the (quite low) serial number is 427. When I got it home I looked it up in the reference books and found nothing on this "V 2" but did see that in every other way it conforms to an early Vic II. In no way can it be mistaken for a Vic V, by the way.

It's a "humpback" Victor, where humpback refers not to a literary French bellringer but to a bulge on the back of the case that accommodates the geometry of the motor within while providing a mountpoint for the backmount.

Then I poked around a little more and find that there really isn't much information around about humpback Vics, and the V 2 type designation in particular. I think I found a humpback Vic II with s/n 3852 online, and a humpback "V 2" with s/n 3785 - so unless there was overlap we can nail down the range of the V 2 designation pretty well. And my V 2 is #427 so we know the s/n range probably started at 1 rather than 500 like some.

So let's have some fun with this. If you have a humpback, please take a look at the ID plate and tell us here what you find. Unless you have or state otherwise, we'll assume a single spring motor with slip-on crank, and a black backmount with gold ornamentation, and a small-bore tapered tonearm.

The goal here is to see what correlation may exist between the V 2 tag and the humpback case, plus anything else that turns up.
Attachments
C68471BF-56DD-4A4B-AA18-5F737C255B7B.jpeg
4AA3DC85-63E1-4C35-B72D-DB9ACD474085.jpeg
C4835C48-2A33-460C-8B56-A4769E06020C.jpeg
FE6AC807-A37E-417F-B7CB-EF111DF1DF02.jpeg
47438BBE-82AE-4C9C-A8F2-568D2DAAD38A.jpeg
89F41936-B453-4739-9EA9-3E01555F24E4.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor "Humpback" - is it an E, or a V 2, or a II?

Post by JerryVan »

You see that numbering variation on the Victor VI/6 also. Basically the same thing, 2/II. There's probably some time frame when one version was used over the other.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My "humpback" Victor II is serial #45904. It is a later one with a threaded crank. I have a Victor VI stamped with only a "6" (serial #965) and a later one stamped "NO 6" (serial #4090.) I've always really liked the humpback II. Tons of style and good performance as well as a good value for todays collectors.

Jerry B.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Nice early example of a Vic 2. I think I have the tone arm if yours is missing.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah! PM sent. Thanks.

Still looking for more sampling data, folks...

collector52
Victor Jr

Post by collector52 »

I have a Vic II in my collection with a serial number of 43701 with a threaded crank. I was approached earlier this year by a local gentleman to restore a V 2 for him that had been in storage and was a mess that was his grandfathers. It was Serial 4377 and had a slotted crank. Both are the humpback style. I am not a high volume collector but have been collecting for decades and his was the first Victor that I had seen in person with a "2" and not a "II". I asked a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable and connected in this hobby and he said the "2" was used for a short period early in the humpback production run. That is supported by your low, early serial number and his relatively low serial number of 4377.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

My Victor II is stamped V 2 and serial number is 3545. It has a slotted crank. It also has the humpback case.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Great data, thanks!

It just kind of seems like they hadn’t come up with the Roman numerals approach to model designation yet.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

How about a forth choice? The argument has been made that any rear mount Victor E, 2, or II is a "Victor the Second" or Victor II. Would that also apply to any Victor C that had been upgraded to a Rigid or Tapered Arm?

Jerry B.