Murray - Meet Me in St. Louis on 78??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tinkerbell
Victor III

Murray - Meet Me in St. Louis on 78??

Post by Tinkerbell »

I do realize this is better suited for the music forum, but it seems this forum gets a lot more traffic. So, my apologies in advance for perhaps not posting in the appropriate forum.

I know that Bill Murray recorded Meet Me in St. Louis on a 2 minute wax cylinder, but does anyone know if it was ever released on 78 as well? If so, would you know which label?

I dug around on the 78 discography site, but couldn't seem to locate any information.

Thank you! :rose:

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Murray - Meet Me in St. Louis on 78??

Post by Wolfe »

It was on Victor 2850. Maybe Columbia, too.

This here is a fabulous site. http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php

Useful for looking up people like Murray, who made many records for Victor.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

He did do it for Columbia...I have the 2 minute cylinder and it was done on disc, I just don't have it....yet! The 2 minute Edison of it is on the Living Era CD I provided transfers for.

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

OrthoSean wrote: Living Era CD I provided transfers for.
ASV Living Era?

I'll have to look for it.

At the risk of being rude (since you worked for them) some of their other discs of old material had pretty lousy sound quality, being really overfiltered. I gave up them. But I bet your CD would sound good.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Woo hoo! Thank you Wolfe and Sean! Now I know what to search for. :D

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Wolfe, you're totally correct about the "quality" of some of their discs!

Once the master left my hands, it went to whoever they paid to do noise reduction. In this case it was Mr. Bunting, who I think took a bit too much off the "top" of the sound, but I had no control over it, as usual. It's still a CD worth having if you're a Murray fan since there are some pretty scarce titles on the disc. If I had my way (which I never did, ahem), I would have had Ward Marston do the final mastering. All I did was provide flat transfers for them. They didn't accept anything with filtering. Long story, but it was fun to participate when I could. I gave them lots of clean copies for the Vaughn DeLeath and Marion Harris CDs they put out as well right before they went "belly up" as it were...

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Don't ever buy ASV's Django Reinhardt/Hot Club Of France Swing From Paris CD. I think they filtered everything on either side of about 500 to 800 cycles. :D

Slight exaggeration, maybe, but it's pretty bad. The original untampered recordings sound miles better.